HO speed skin durability

wettek69

• Baller

Gidday guys

For those of you who have a "newer" HO with the speed skin bottom, has anyone had any issues with the textured bottom "smoothing off" over time or being easily damaged? I am shortly getting a CX Superlite, but read somewhere (think it was here) recently that the textured bottom is very easily damaged. Like most people, I try to take care of my gear, but if it is easily damaged/marked/scratched etc, I may go with a different ski (Radar Senate).

Looking forward to your advice. Thanks

• Baller
@wettek69, I have a 2016 CX Superlite that I have skied quite a bit since April. Absolutely love the ski and highly recommend it! I take good care of it but it is showing some signs of discoloration along the rails and at the tip (see attached pics). Speed skin is fine and it does not seem to ride any differently, just losing some color.

• Baller
I asked this same question in another thread, but do you think the claimed decrease in drag due to the speed skin is actually noticeable, and do you get much of a rough ride in anything but glassy water due to the ski being the Superlite version? Thanks

• Administrators

@wettek69 the Super Lite version is simply better materials. it should be great in all conditions.

As for the texture all I can tell you is one of the test team guys told me about trying one of the skis with and without the texture and that they definitely prefer it with the texture. Exactly what he felt I'm not a hundred percent sure.

• Baller

I bought the V-Type R shortly after it was released (had to order and wait for the 67 to hit the market) I liked it, but went a different direction, simply because my skiing style suited a different ski. I sold it to my ski partner, and he is still on it. He is a little rougher on equipment than I am, but the speed skin shows no damage whatsoever after 1 1/2 years of skiing regularly.

Long answer to say, durability is not an issue

• Baller
Ski rides great in all conditions. Not sure about the discoloration as my ski rarely goes in the bag. It goes from the wall rack in my office straight into the boat and it never touches anything other than water or carpet plus the swim platform when I put it on.

• Baller

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

@ESPNSkier and @DaveLemons bit of a bummer about the discoloration, did you contact HO about it at all to see if they could advise what caused it?

I was told that because the ski is lightweight it was a bit harsh in any chop compared to a damper ski like the Senate. My skiing is in an open lake most of the time, so perhaps not ideal for a ski like the CX Superlite , but I like the advertised less drag and fatigue. Getting old.....

• Administrators

@wettek69 If you have looking for a damper ski it is not the HO vs the Radar or some other brand. A ski that has all carbon laminates and a PVC core is the least damp. As you replace some or all of the carbon with glass the ski best more damp. The same thing happens as you replace PVC with PU.

HO and Radar both make very good mid range skis that are all Carbon & PVC. Both companies also make the same skis with the damper (less expensive) materials. My point is a Lithium Senate is not more damp than a CX SuperLite. They are both all carbon and PVC.

I do not personally ski much rough water but I expect the all carbon and PVC is the best in any conditions.

• Administrators

HO is doing something pretty cool with that that Speed Skin surface. I have never seen a ski with Speed Ski being made but I am pretty sure I know what they are doing. IF my assumptions are correct - to get the texture right and get a crisp graphic, they print the bottom layer before the texture is created. The printed surface is the very bottom of the ski. The result is the printing may scuff a little if you are not careful.

When they leave that bottom layer unprinted and clear over carbon - like on the VTR it looks INSANE cool.

I am pretty sure the HO guys are more worried about performance than if the bottom of the ski looks perfect for years to come.

@savaiusini may or may not chew my a$$ for this last statement.

• Baller

Gidday @Horton thanks for the feedback. I wasn't simply comparing brands. I have narrowed my choice of new ski down to a Radar Senate Graphite or HO CX Superlite. Both of them will ski way above my ability in better hands than mine, but I like the idea of a less fatiguing ski which the HO claims to be, due to the speedskin, reverse rocker clean edge, etc. As most of my skiing is open lake, I was wondering if the HO, having the lighter PVC core compared to the standard PU core in the Radar Senate Graphite, would be a bit harsher. As far as the looks vs performance goes, I fully agree that the ski is designed performance, not looks, but hey, when I'm spending $1600 AUS on a ski, I would really hope it's not going to look rough in a couple of years from simply fading.

Thanks all, I appreciate your input

• Baller

@Horton got it right...mostly. ;)

Through the 2015 model year, our speed skin material was white in color from our supplier. The colors were screen printed onto the material and we typically left the HO or Syndicate logo un-screened so in essence, the logo was the raw white speed skin material. As some have pointed out, minor scuffing of the screened artwork could occur along the rails or at the tip and tail. This scuffing is only cosmetic and if you look closely, the speed skin texture is still intact. Beginning in the 2016 Syndicate VTR, we worked with our material supplier and created a black speed skin substrate. This allows us to only apply ink on the logo areas, leaving most of the rest of the ski ink-free.

@wettek69 Glad our ski is on your short list! Assuming you are purchasing a 2017 Superlite CX, you will not experience any of the cosmetic scuffing occasionally seen in earlier models. As far as your question about PU vs. PVC cores... At the end of the day, PVC/carbon is better because it makes for a faster ski out of the turn. Whether you are skiing open water or are in the course, this is a big reason why most ski companies moved away from PU in their higher-end skis; people like the way PVC/carbon feels. I hope this helps in your decision process.

As always, I'm here to assist any way I can. Let me know if there are other questions or concerns!

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
Hi Sam @savaiusini . Thanks for the comments mate, appreciate the advice. Have you had much feedback from skiiers (both test team and general user) as to if the reduced drag from the speedskin and clean edge is noticeable over other skis? I don't know anyone who has used a ski like this yet, HOs aren't that common in my area, more Radar and O'Brien.

• Baller
@Booze SpeedSkin is a proprietary material we have evolved over the years. It’s more durable than a nexus bottom/resin finish. But the real benefit of the texture is the stability it adds in glass water conditions.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
@savaiusini Should add this to the marketing jargon: "stability it adds in glass water conditions" On several skis I have had including a PB ski, if the water was glass, I dreaded it. Glass, 90+ degree water really got me. Something to break that water up sounds good to me.