Vinyl redo--how much should it cost?

WBLskier

• Baller
I'm getting some of the seats on my 98 Malibu Echelon recovered. I have them doing the driver's seat (bottom only), passenger seat (bottom only), and the back seat (bottom and backrest) for four pieces total. 3 colors. Quote is $1,450. Trying to determine if I'm in the right price range? I've never had to recover seats before, so I'm curious if this sounds about right or not. Thanks.

• Baller
@WBLskier yeah vinyl gets pricey no matter what you are doing. I had a great guy that worked for a shop but then started his own out of his garage so he was cheap and quality. Might want to look into that. Just make sure either way that you are getting quality vinyl installed. If you can get it triple stitches even better. Let's see some pics when it is done!

• Baller
I have been looking into new vinyl in my CC196. For the backseat I believe the vinyl alone was near $700 then a few hundred for the back of the drivers seat. That was material only. I need to replace the back seat, back of driver seat, engine cover, and gunwale pieces. I am planning on $1500-2000 for material alone.

• Baller
It depends on where you live. I have a 1990 Challenger. The interior was probably 85% but I decided to get it done. I delivered to a lot of Amish and one man in particular was absolutely excellent. I hate to make you guys feel bad I got the whole interior and I mean the whole interior installed with new carpet install for $1,000 flat. That also included digital embroidery to match the original. And let me tell you it looks good. They're like anyone else you have good and not so good the trick is finding them. Another part of the story was I dropped it off in November it was May 1st and boat wasn't done. I told him just give me the drivers back and we will have to work on it piece by piece. He finished the whole entire boat 5 days later. If you don't press them it'll take awhile.

• Baller
@WBLskier, I think that's a tad high. Ironically, just had my observer's seat and driver's seat (bottoms only) for my 98 Echelon remade by a guy in California who does skins for older Malibu boats for $350 shipped to IL. I can't imagine the rear seat base would be $1000. That was for the skins only, so add another $80 for the local vinyl guy to install them. He now has the patterns for the 98 Echelon, as I sent him my old observer's seat skin. If you're interested, I'll get you his contact info. They look factory new.