Live ski feed

Jack_Haase

• Baller
Have you ever got to your ski site and the conditions are really rough and you didn't plan for it? Well what if there was a program where you can see a live feed of the site you are skiing at to see who is currently in the course? How windy it is? Now I am aware that most people can just look out their window and tell all that, but what if you live far away from your site or your going to a tournament. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever thought of this or if this could become something in the future?

• Administrators

@Jack_Haase Google "webcam" or "security cam".

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

• Administrators

@scotchipman actually a good idea. I use the old Arlo for the babies room. It is on when you ping it from a device. In other words if I am not on the Arlo page watching the baby, the camera is in sleep mode. The problem with LTE is you are going to burn some data if you use it much.

I had a Nest cam at the lake so I could see the water and check on the boat. It died about a week after the warranty expired.

• Baller
Nest does that pretty well, though its a clumsy installation. You'll need full 110AC to power it and strong wifi. A good quality CCTV system will allow recording based on motion and/or give motion email alerts through the DVR. It just takes a little digging into the setup to find the settings. @liquid d I just checked your profile....I see you're local. I have a home theater installation business, which includes CCTV installations. Message me if you want any assistance....

• Baller

I am using this camera from Amcrest and have had good luck with it. It does require a wifi signal but for $89 I am super happy. It has HD zoom and pan, microphone and speaker, recording, the list goes on. The other thing I use is intellicast and their wind layer as a second point of reference.

Amcrest ProHD 1080P WiFi Wireless IP Security Camera - 1080P (1920TVL), IP2M-841 (White)

5pyxjpzihecm.png

• Baller
Yeah, I was just getting ready to suggest a weather app.... after visiting a site a number of times and noticing what your weather app says about wind speed and direction, you should have a pretty good indicator of what conditions are depending on what direction the site is more protected, or vulnerable regarding wind. I check my app every morning we head out to ski to decide the best location to go.

• Baller

We ski on the lake we live on. I am also a little bit of a weather buff, so I have my own weather station that updates every 5 seconds (on Wunderground) or every 15 on my website Weather Page. I know which directions of wind are tolerable and which cause problems. Anything under 3 MPH is great obviously, and up to 10 is OK depending on direction.

I also use the NOAA hourly wind forecast which during the summer is amazingly accurate as far as 72 hours out.

Of course that doesn't solve the boats on the lake situation, but then that changes moment to moment. One day I will have a lake view camera too. Just need to get it set up.