Puget Sound Skiers and discussion

sunvalleylaw

• Baller

Bringing this over here as we started to have a nice chat over in the Woodies thread about Puget Sound ski experience, and I did not want to further be off topic. Here is my story transplanted from over there.

"First slalom ski I used was a Connelly Wood Hook. It felt so cool trying to put up a spray behind an old outboard in Puget Sound with my buddies on that thing."

"@jjackkrash , yeah, grew up originally in west Tacoma/UP and would boat from Narrows/Day Island marinas over to Wollochet and Horsehead (ski off the spit there back in the day. Step starts of the beach with the wood hook, and later Connelly shortlines), or over at a buddy's summer place on the south side of Fox Island looking at McNeil. Sometimes we might ski behind Tanglewood Island. (EDIT: Also Rosedale, Deadman's, Raft Island, Purdy, etc.) Particularly when I was with one friend whose grandparents lived by the Fox Island bridge. We did that before we all were licensed to drive a car. Then later, my folks bought a place in Horsehead, across from the spit looking out, and we never looked back. Mom finally sold the place a little over a year ago. So, I guess that should no longer be on my profile. She lives in Gig Harbor now, and we take her newer glastron up to Quartermaster Harbor at Vashon, or otherwise ski at our annual family get together out in Dabob bay area, and by Seabeck, at Hood Canal where we have that reunion each year. Fun stuff! I love skiing where I do now, but I always have fun back on that puget sound salt water."

Here is a pic of a poster I got from my Dad after he died, marked up with a partial list of places I used to, and sometimes still do, ski back there. Missing out of the frame are some areas of Fox Island, areas down by Olympia, Lake Bay area, and Glen Cove. Also, other parts of Hood Canal that I cannot remember.

When I started out, it was behind old Whalers, Bell Buoys, Glastrons, Seaswirls, etc. We bought our family boat (17' Glastron outboard) at the Boat Barn in Gig Harbor, with the 115 Evinrude we eventually replaced with a 120 with oil injection.

2tm8deg90gue.jpg

Please share your Puget Sound or Puget Sound area story here. :)

• Baller

My grandparents have had a family place on Vaughn Bay since I was in high school. Lots of fun times skiing on the flat salt water, beach starts and jellyfish. We skied behind anything with a motor for along time but once my aunt and uncle (who live there year round) got a Response LXI I became much more picky.5kkog9hgwv4g.jpg

j59w2xoszxvj.jpg

• Baller

@RichardDoane , agreed. Here is the view from our former deck, at mid-tide. A really good time to ski.

kuqgcgf8b01r.jpg

We skied off the dock to the left. That was our float in the middle. The moutains @lundberg and @jjackkrash mention are out under those clouds. We had many an amazing sunset at that place.

nfjd7dz0k1rr.jpg