gate rule change 14.08 @ moomba

addkerr

• Baller

We will be using the world rule from the year 2000.

"14.08: A miss or "Riding Over"

It is a miss to ride inside a buoy or outside the entrance or end gate or to ride over, straddle or jump over a buoy or gate buoy; but there is no penalty for grazing a buoy with a ski or part of the body. "Riding over" shall be defined as hitting a buoy with the ski so as to move it significantly from it position or temporarily sink it. Hitting a buoy less severely shall be considered as "grazing."

A skier shall be judged as missing the entry or exit gate when the ski passes entirely and clearly outside the gate buoy."

In other words, get a piece of the gate ball with your ski and your gates will be given. If there is clear space between the ski and the gate ball, they will be pulled.

• Baller
Innocent question, but wy not use super thin spectra up to an appropriate depth then use bungie from there up? The goal beign to minimize drag and variation for the majority of the depth so as to reduce the water-current's impact.

• Baller

IWWF has mandated that a GPS receiver be on each buoy with real time telemetry globaly propogated by internet with satelite back up. It will be monitored by a control station in NYC by the designated buoy rules judge. The buoy judge in NYC will call to Australia to enforce a reride in case of 1mm deviation.

There will be a back up control station monitoring the NYC station 24 hrs a day to ensure redundancy.

IWWF is mandating that all 2017 tournaments class C and above implement this technology or scores for the ranking list will not count.

This is critical to ensure no one is cheating their gates.

• Baller

@lpskier if you are suggesting that there is 8' long bungee on the gates at moomba, you couldn't be any more wrong.

@ToddL The buoy lines are virtually no stretch very thin lines that go down to the cross wire.

Believe me, so many different methods have been tried over the years. Every element of the course and how it is setup has a very good reason for being the way it is given the challenges of the site. Frank and Dave who manage the course have been doing it for over 25 years each and have seen it all.

• Baller

Should be at least some tension band on endgates. AWSA recommends 16 inches. Also,

I presume that there is a breakaway feature, so if the towboat snags a buoy, the force

won't be translated to the course structure. Thinking of US Nationals 1975, for example.

Having some stretch capability means that the buoy can rise and fall easier when wakes

hit it, vs. getting swamped over.

Somewhat the least of the worries there, compared to what the river can produce. I do

remember deep-draft boats cruising down the Yarra when the course was in place and

the river supposedly closed. And hacking out the crosslines. I expect that situation is

a lot better under control these days.

In summary, a more liberal gate rule makes sense there. Zero chance of a World Record

in the Slalom events. Wonder if they have Cl. video and gate cameras?

• Baller

How about centerline video there? Would have to be done from the city end, but the

river bends enough so the camera can be on shore. Nice to see about video gates. There

used to be great live video from the boat when HSV7 was covering the entire event with

professional gear.

• Baller
Yes, end course too. We do not bend any rules when it comes to meeting L or R rules. Its easy to have a very good EC image because of the close proximity at the city end. For the last few years we have had a PTZ camera run by fibre optic back to the tower. Its very nice to have full HD images.

• Baller

Good news. I worked as an official there from 1982--1991 inclusive. One of the things

that I found out was that the SL course was skewed. When that got fixed, 38 off was run

for the first time there. I would still recommend that the SL be run as a ca$h event, but

not as an R. Too many variables at a river site.