Masterline Slalom Rope Minute - Measure and Stretch

Horton

• Baller
Maybe it is just me....but they are still spongy out of the box. I always stretch them between by tow hitch and a tree (sacrificial 15 or 22 off section around the tree). I have had pretty good luck with ML ropes. I have bought at least one every year for the last 8 or 9 years.

• Administrators
@skibug have you tried one straight out of the box in the last few years? I got four ropes from MasterLine last year and they were great out of the box.

• Baller

@horton we survey yearly not before each tournament. I think the rules say it has to be within 90 days.

As far as timing boat one answer, 95, nuff said on that one. lol

I seriously doubt a rope can lose its tolerance after being shipped in a box. I am also sure that the Masterline factory knows how to measure ropes. So if they just wrote down the numbers I could take a rope out of the box and put it into tournament use and have the numbers for the CJ report. I am just thinking of a way to make life easier for tournament officials.

• Baller
The first brand new masterline rope I used was very springy. That was the first time I was told I should stretch a rope before use. About two years ago I heard masterline was stretching them at factory and building them under tension. So I tentatively took my next rope and went skiing. Felt great right out of the box. My last four ropes have been that way.

• Baller
I'm usually one of 3 or 4 skiers at Okeeheelee that skies a couple of sets on the ropes we will use when we have Nationals (Masterline). The last couple of Nationals we hosted, I couldn't feel any stretch issues at all. I bought a new Masterline rope last year and skied it without stretch issues from the first pass.

• Baller
I just bought a ML rope last week and have used it for 3 sets. It felt very spongy for the first set and after the 3rd set I would say its 75% better. Need to keep in mind that any new rope is going to feel spongy since we are always comparing it a rope that has been used for hundreds of passes that has zero "give".

• Baller

The stretch is partly due to knots tightening when under use and in the water. That is, if

the construction of the loops uses knots. The "slide loop" design may be knot-less. Back

back when I used to make Ultra Handles, I made a device with a winch crank and a force

gauge, to load up all assembled handles to 700 lbs. I wonder just what ML does. 700 is

a lot of force, and a full length towline will stretch a few feet before recovering. But,

nothing compares to a break-in period with actual skiing.

• Baller

Don't pull with car. You may break rope and have it whip someone.

If the ropes have been used for awhile they can get longer. I've measured Big Dawg ropes that were used in previous Big Dawg and they tended to be just a bit too long.

Sometimes they hardly change between tournaments.

Also once in awhile I've see a section missing! You need to measure.

• Baller

It is not uncommon for ropes used in a tournament with a lot of good skiers to be 2 inches longer when I measure for day 2. Usually they require fidding rope into them.

Big Dawg tournaments are good example of this. If you expect that someone will set some regional or national record, your ropes need to be less that actual when you start the day.