Elbow Injury

Zoro957

• Baller
A couple of weeks ago, I dislocated my elbow, by about 60 degrees in the wrong direction and 3 breaks in the elbow. After 2 weeks, I am already out of my splint and starting to do minor stretching. The Dr is telling me that only 1% of people get back 100% range of motion, but skiing is possible again, but after up to a year of PT. I am obviously very discouraged, but I am looking for anybody else who may have been through something similar, and look for how things went for them. I can only guess that my arm went through the handle on a very minor fall. It all happened so fast, I really don't know for sure. I can only assume that recovery at my advanced age of 59 is slow and methodical.

• Baller
I dislocated my right elbow at Nationals a few years ago and skied again in November. I had no breaks with mine so that is one difference, I didn't start PT until late Sept so you're ahead of me there. I have full range of motion in that elbow now and had probably 95% back by the time I skied again, about 2.5 months post injury. I would have been about 54 when the injury occurred. My only recommendation would be follow Drs. instructions and be diligent with your PT.

• Baller
Dislocated my elbow in May '08 with a thru-handle fall. Got pulled straight out, though, not back, so it popped back in nicely. Ligaments got a real good stretch, but no other damage. I was skiing again by sometime in August. I did my own tape jobs to support the area when skiing. More affected was my ability to throw. Never had any range of motion issues. Best of luck with yours!

• Baller
My Dr has instructed me to do my own PT. He says the Pro's tend to overstretch things. I am only doing minor stretching, and ice as often and as cold as I can stand it. Stretching to mild discomfort, but no pain is what he says.

• Baller

A family Doc right? Without pushing your range with the addition of joint mobilizations you will only scar down and loose mobility.

A sport orthopedic MD would advise you otherwise knowing that Doctorate level trained PT's will 'grade' your stretching and joint mobilizations within the tissue tolerance which would result in a radically different outcome than you are experiencing currently.

If you can replicate self joint mobs that you've been instructed in, perform self traction and stretching done in the clinical setting that would suffice to go on to a home program, but your 'home PT' methods don't seem to be very effective at increasing your range of motion.

Just trying to help and provided some evidenced based clinical advice!

• Baller_

Elbow problems are tough, but can be overcome. I had a radial head fracture in 1990 that has caused various degrees of problems and I can't fully straighten it to this day, but is only a minor hindrance for most of my activity. Don't sweat 100% range of motion, when 90% is enough.

I suggest PMing Mrjones (a good PT and skier) or Gloerson (MD). There are a few other good PTs and docs on the board, but I forget their names.

At just a few weeks out, you are in the early stages of recovery so don't get discouraged. Focus on the rehab and small steps.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

Did u have surgery? Doesn't sound like it. Did u see an Orthopedic Surgeon?

What bones were broken? An X-ray would b helpful. Elbows are notorious for getting stiff, but there are multiple ways to gain ROM as cragginshred said. Just fixed a bad one on Wed.

Good luck!

Hey Bruce, Zacks old D3 RCX got my son to 12th place in his first Natl's at West Palm, tourney PB just icing on the cake. He was in great shape around 3 but just lost the handle. Nate signed the ski for him, so he's keepin it for awhile!

Thanks again

• Baller
I am currently seeing a sports Ortho Surgeon. He was the ORTHO surgeon for the Buffalo Bills at one point, so I am trusting him at this point. He may send me to a professional PT at some point, but for now, just doing stretches and lots of icing. He says it can't be cold enough for long enough. Very little pain at this point, but very weak and limited ROM.

Sometimes an operation to repair a broken elbow is the best choice. This is particularly true if there is an open or compound elbow injury.

An open elbow injury means that one or more of the bones at the elbow has come through the skin.

The bone needs to be put in place, and to be thoroughly cleaned so infection does not occur. This is generally performed by a orthopaedic surgeon.

In certain cases it can be treated just with medication.