Water Skiing is a crime!

Horton

• Baller

They must really be out of things to police if this is what makes the news.

I am curious tho. If they used a boat to pull instead of a sled, would there still be a problem? If not, why is the skier being charged with anything at all?

Being from Minnesota, I am confused by the fun police on the other side of the cheddar curtain...

• Baller
I got a ticket for trick skiing in the warm water channel east of Long Beach with Forest Fisher. They didn't care that we were launching the Ski Nautique into the air off the waves next to the surfers. Do not exceed 5 mph. I had no idea a lifeguard could give a ticket.

• Gold Member

This from the state who's motto is Live Free or Die... (Edit: I see I was too slow to be first to mention that!)

I'm a little sympathetic to the police in this case because there are sooo many underexperienced-overexuberant folks who use Lake Winnipesaukee, and if somebody tries to kill themselves, the police feel some responsibility to try to stop them.

Of course, personally, I truly believe in allowing morons to be morons, including the police NOT having responsibility to try to save morons from themselves. The big advantage of that (in addition to the Darwin effect) is that it allows someone who is NOT a moron and has both prepared properly and accepted the risk, to avoid being hassled by well-intentioned law enforcement.

• Baller
I think the skier may have simply been an accessory in this case. At the end of the day the stunt may have been worth it, sometimes the fun makes up for the cost. I'd be interested to know how they got the skier up, you can exactly wait to pull the rope tight and then go, the sled needs to be at speed as it's getting to the water.

• Baller
The best part about this is that now that they have already been caught and already paid their $1,500 fine (so worth it) they can now post that video everywhere without any worry. Being a snowmobiler and a waterskier, I love this, and I would absolutely be willing to pay $1,500 to have a chance to make this happen. However, I'm not nearly good enough at barefoot to have any chance of actually making it happen. Props to them. Live your dreams, regardless of some stupid law that says you can't. Nobody was worse for the wear.

• Baller

They have a go fund me page for the fines, so they should be covered; totally viral!! My 2 favorite sports

Cops have ticketed wateskipping sleds on youtube up here (Ontario) in the past.

probably complaints from locals and a deterrent for others to do it again. The fines should be well worth it!! great stunt!

• Baller

Wasn't skiing BTW. They were barefooting. Ballsy with the ice chunks floating in the channel. I've hit those on a ski before and they suck. Can't imagine taking one on the foot.

Also curious how he ended the run. Must have dropped as I don't imagine he footed onto the ice.

Video at link

• Baller

Arrested for "having fun?"

In 1983, after the aftermath of Hurricane Alicia in Houston, I went driving around taking photographs. One of the most memorable images I shot was a Kmart parking lot, about 2 feet underwater.

Driving around was a group of young pimple faced guys in a high bed F100, pulling a water skier wearing a diaper and a female blow up doll taped to his shoulders. Now If that doesn't put a smile on your face, well..........

• Baller
@UWSkier I had the same thought "what if he hits those ice chunks while barefooting?" I have to imagine that would mess him up pretty good. That full video you linked to gives an even better idea of just how high risk these guys were really doing. That is some scary video.

• Baller
very cool but a big problem i see here is no one could be sure where the bare footer would end up swimming since the snowmobile can't stop without immediately sinking. if the skier got hurt or even knocked out in a fall he could be in serious trouble long before help could save him.

That's totally funny this is my home lake and the boat and driver is a good friend of mine. I had no idea that he did this as it was about 9 years ago and I only started skiing about 3 years ago so I just gave him a call about it. It was quite daring as the water level under the bridge is like 2.5 to 3 feet you have to hit it just right or else it is less than that. In the late summer quite often you have to walk your boat through as it is really low. Anyway every one around knew that this was going to happen so all boat traffic was stopped with spotters in both directions. Ive been pulled behind that boat and it was about 420ish hp so 45 mi was no problem with 2 barefooters. With all that in mind if you seen the hole they had to go through it is unbelievable crazy!!! Every time we go through we joke about pulling a skier through on day I guess there is nothing new under the sun after all.

• Baller

Former AWSA official and worker for Aqua Sport skis, Bill Trudgeon (rip) once told me,

back in the 1960s, that he had a fantasy of skiing like mad through the Weirs Channel.

Nice to see it finally happened. And nobody got hurt.