Connelly Carbon V unboxing & some talk about mid range skis

Horton

• Baller
@Horton in the video you mentioned taking a look at the mid range skis this year. It sounded like you were going to review a few of them this year. Do you have a list of what you are going to try?

• Baller

I've been skiing on a V for the past year.

I can't explain the micro-details like some of you guys, but it certainly has more potential than my ability. I came from a F1 and the biggest noticeable change is the reduced drag when free skiing.

And it's easily as fast as my F1 from wake to wake when pushed. I'm pretty happy with it.

My $.02

• Baller
So if I'm transitioning from being a strictly open water skier and trying to focus more on my technique and getting into the course, do I want a mid range ski? Are they more forgiving until I get past 22? Always kind of thought of it as a price thing...basically that I don't need the most expensive technology.

• Administrators
@Obrienslalom Mid range skis are often better than the very high end skis for your level. Yes mid range skis are cheaper but they are also more stable and forgiving. I do not think it is terrible when a skier learning the course starts out on a top of the line ski but you might advance faster by riding the mid range ski until you have more skills.

• Baller

I chose a mid range ski thinking it would allow me to progress quicker.

One of the challenges I see is the limited sizing compared to higher end skis. At 200 lbs, I sit at the top of the suggested weighted range for many 67" mid range skis and the bottom of the suggested weight range for 69" skis. At 49 kph/30 mph and 52 kph/32 mph my 69" works great and it is very forgiving. At 55 kph/34 mph which I am working on at present I find that I can not engage the front of the ski and it wants to run straight ahead. This is probably mostly my technique, however at the higher speed I feel like the ski is taking charge. A 68" would probably be a good choice for the next step, which takes you out of the mid range category and into the high end category.

I welcome any thoughts.

• Baller
The new crop of mid range skis are really nice options for those of us skiing -35 and below. Another option which I like to consider is going up one size above the manufactures recommended length on a high level ski to add a little surface area stability and take advantage of the latest designs and materials.

• Administrators
I just took my first ride on the Carbon V. Totally impressed. Started out at 28 off 30 mph. Ended up at 34 miles an hour 32 off. Really fun.

• Baller

@Horton

It seems to me that for ideal testing of this ski, that you would have started at a longer rope length than 28 off. It seems like lots of the readers here are going to be very interested in your opinion of the ski at possible as low as even 28 mph and 15 off. Or maybe better said, I think there are probably a lot of guys who are going to really consider buying this ski who are currently in the ballpark of as low as 28 mph and 15 off.

Maybe you will say that then this isn't the most appropriate ski choice for that low of speed and that line length? Or maybe you're such a good skier that those passes are a total joke so you would have a hard time even differentiating between a good and bad ski at those line lengths?

Anyway, whatever your reason is, I would love it if you had some commentary on this in your final review/writeup.

• Administrators
@escmanaze The problem with that is that I can almost run 28 mph / 15 off on a 2x4. Additionally the lower the skiing level less critical everything is and the harder it is to find the differences.

• Baller
@escmanaze FWIW I bought one last year mid season. Did some 28mph & 30mph 15off passes on it and it was super stable and predictable. I regularly ski at 32 & 34mph 15 & 22off. Got a PB my 3rd set on it. Really looking forward to getting back on it this year. We are a couple weeks away from getting back out there.