Trick Ski Mounting

BCM

• Baller
After pulling a few screws out of my trick ski I finally decided to install some inserts. I completed the front boot inserts, used the original mounting holes (drilled out, tapped, epoxied, etc). Then I got to the rear plate. I purchased the ski used many years ago and used the holes used by the previous owner. They are drilled to allow the toe plate to sit 45* from centerline when using the middle hole in the toe plate. But, my rear big toe is a few inches from the back of my front boot. I never thought much of it until now. I run my slalom boots as close together as possible. Should I go with the same approach on my trick ski? How about angle? Should I get the toe plate as close as possible to the front boot? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Baller_

I would suggest experimenting with closer and see how it feels.

The rule of thumb is that closer is better for spins and more separation is better for flips and ski lines. I see from your profile that you are about a 1500 pt tricker, so closer is likely better for you. 45 deg is a good angle, but be sure your rear foot is centered on the ski, i.e. your toes and heel are the same distance from the edge. Back when I tricked, I had to cut the toe piece to get as close as I wanted.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Rear binding placement evolved from as close as possible to comfortable separation. A few inches is probably too wide. One inch back from as close as possible is where I mount college kid bindings and they learn quickly.

Often adjustable front bindings need a lot of clearance for the moving heel. This determines the rear toe position. Not performance. That placement gets copied and your feet end up too wide. It's very common. And easy to fix.

Placement is not that sensitive - but move yours closer.

Actually, get a new modern ski. They really are an improvement.

Eric

• Baller

Since you are using a plate, don't feel that you have to center the plate side-to-side. I'm not crazy about how the newer skis come with the inserts already in for the rear. It may make installation convenient for left or right foot forward, but I don't feel optimal placement can be achieved. The D3 HC LTD still has an option for a screw retention plate instead of the inserts. Skis with rear inserts require an RTP, or you void the warranty.

I like to have the center of my foot (more accurately the mid-point between the ball of my foot and inside ankle) centered side-to-side and make adjustments to accomplish that. My plate is off-center, I cut away rubber, and adjust the rubber size as needed to get my foot where I want it.

ggvcagf9xezd.jpg

• Baller

@eleeski - It's a Goodman from about 2006, not new but not super old. Would love to get a new one, but the wife made it clear that it was new tele skis or a new trick ski. Choices were made, it will be a few more years on this ski. My ski purchase priority is a little different than most Jump>telemark=slalom>alpine>trick.

I happen to have a 1/2 roll of dual lock. I used some on our college team ski many moons ago so we could switch between RFF and LFF skiers easily. Worked well until someone decided to switch it around on the swim platform on a deep public reservoir, toe plates sink fast.

With the current holes the plate is centered, my foot is not. I can see how that could be a problem...

I'm going to go with the dual lock and fine tune, then maybe drill new holes, install inserts, after some experimenting. That is if it stops snowing.

Thanks for the insight.

• Baller

@BCM How's this for an idea - use DL or Velcro to find your preferred placement, and then make the installation a bit more permanent with only 1 screw into an insert through the very middle of the plate while leaving the DL in place. If you need to adjust a bit more after that, just drill another hole through the plate and continue to use the same insert.

• Baller

@BCM 2006 not old?! @MS 's Monza that everyone makes fun of is from that era. Good skis for sure but skis have evolved since then.

With that said, Goodman skis are well built so there should no issues with a ski that age. Enjoy it. With the bindings in the right place. A couple extra inserts or holes won't affect anything.

Eric

• Baller

@dchristman - I like the idea. We're looking at rain for the next month or more, so I have lots of time to tinker in the garage... and snow ski

@eleski - At least it isn't wood. Its on the replacement list, just below my A1. If the summer goes well I should be able to fund a replacement. I'm hoping to get more tricks time this summer and maybe progress a little. A little progress will make the investment easier to swallow.