Mike Hazelwood rocking a Connelly GT plus Stokes vest & gloves

Horton

• Baller
I got to see him run 4 @ 38 off in white capped rolling waves Robin Lake Masters 1981. It inspired me to buy a Conelly HP onsite. I went in to qualify for my fist Nationals on that ski at Duqoin IL in 1982. Should have won it but tied for 11th. Don't think I will ever get that chance again!

• Baller

At one Tour tournament on the Arkansas River in downtown Wichita, KS (1986 or 1987),

Mike was the only person who ran a complete pass in SL in the whole tournament. Wicked

tail/head wind 24 hours a day.

He set a World Record of 203' (61.9m) at a Tour event at Oak Mountain Park 1986 in

Alabama.

Will be interesting to see if he enters the 35+ (aka Senior) Worlds next year. Site not yet

determined. He would be in the Men 55+ division. Current top scores in M55+ rankings:

2.5 @ 10.25m (41 off), 46.85m (154'), 4165 Tricks points. Yes, he once tricked, 6000+.

• Baller
Set a world record jump at Oak Mountain Park, @Edbrazil? I didn't even know a tournament was ever held there. And, if @lpskier is right about his slalom, the GT should be something special for him. I'm keeping fingers crossed on him skiing worlds.

• Baller_
Just to be clear, my comments about technique were not intended to be critical. My point was that at Mike's time, technique was different than it is today. This is evident in the video that @Horton posted. Lots of factors play a part in technique evolution, such as speed control, ski design, use of new materials like PVC and carbon, and particularly in jump, ski length. I was in no way criticizing Mike's technique. I have nothing but the highest personal and athletic regard for Mike, and I'd hate for my comment to be misunderstood.

Lpskier

• Baller

Tour went to Oak Mtn. three times. Mike's World Record there was in 1986. The site also

hosted a Southern Regionals where I was an official, also 1986. Site was the last one

where the Tour used a floating course.

Interesting story about the MasterCraft giveaway boat there. The Tour used to give away a

boat at about every stop in those days.