Don Pedro ski course (N. Ca. public lake)

cragginshred

• Baller

I live in Sonora Ca. which is in the same county as Yosemite so the nearest private water where I'm a member is 1 hour away. I also have the 5th and 6th largest lakes in Cali in my backyard - New Melones and Don Pedro.

Both have a had a fair amount of history in the slalom world in fact 'Edged in water 2' went from scenes in France to Don Pedro lake -section with the 2 house boats and all the top skiers getting together to slalom party.

Currently both lakes have plenty of water due to the drought ending huber winter Cali just endured! Melones club is shrunk to next to no one interested, but Pedro has buoys in water and a group still keeping it real with docks and families involved with house boats. The course is tucked away in a private cove with good protection.

On side note on the amount of water Pedro has opened it's spillway for the second time in the forty something years it's been in operation. This was just from the rainfall. There remains the largest snowpack ever recorded in the Sierras so it should be an interesting spring and summer!

Just seeing if any Bay area or other skiers might be headed this way to get out on the water this summer?

• Baller

Don Pedro is where I learned to ski in the 90s. Our friends had a houseboat and were members and we used to ski the fun tournaments before getting into AWSA in the late 90s. Last time I remember skiing I ran back to back to back 15' @ 36mph when I was in Boys 3 which was a huge feat for me at the time.

I haven't been out there since about 99' but I have lots of great memories. Steep banks give lots of rollers and we had issues with wakeboarders and jet skis coming down the course while we were skiing. Then we moved to private water and never looked back.

• Members

I have a project in Knight's Ferry this summer. It would be fun to get a ride at Don Pedro. Might even bring the boat up. Does anyone ski on weekday afternoons?

I've skied there twice before. Once when I was maybe 12 and once when we did a college ski team spring break (maybe it was Memorial Day- pretty fuzzy memories) houseboat trip there in '93 or '94. Super fun. Private lakes are nice, but the clean cool water of a deep reservoir is a lot nicer on a summer day.

Went to Naci a few years ago w @"Mateo Vargas" and had a great time, in large part due to the friendly welcoming members there.

• Baller
@cragginshred - the New Melones group is still around and active. They had to pull the course due to low water levels a couple years ago and I don't think they have been able to get it back in yet this spring. Fun place to ski, good people. I'll be at Melones for a week in July. PM me if you want more info on the Melones group, I have some connections. I know they are looking for people who are interested in skiing and willing to lend a hand.

• Baller
California needs a slalom course in every reservoir! We have so many (reservoirs) and, other than the delta, that is where most everyone in this state gets their start learning to ski and freeskiing. Other than New Melones, Don Pedro, Berryessa, and Naciemento, are there currently any other public reservoir slalom courses in the state? More of those would pull more people into the sport.

• Baller
I wish I had a photo to share, maybe I can dig some up? DP has a special place in my heart. I learned to ski there when I was 14 or so. My family and I bought a houseboat there, and made some of the best memories of my life there, from 1995 to 2007 or so. I'm well versed at getting up at the crack of can't see the sun, and ski till 7:30 or 8. then go out again at about 7 that night. My parents bought a 1980 MC, blue stars and stripes, and we were major weekend warriors, before and during when we had the houseboat.

• Baller
@cragginshred, I did go to New Melones. like once, too. Never saw the course, thought it was an "okay" lake, and left. @keithh2oskier. DP feels like a lifetime ago now. I haven't been on the water, but did take a drive there a few years back on a trip. I cashed in all my "house, and houseboat chips" in 2004, and then sold another house and bought a house on a ski lake in Texas, where I now live. One thing I don't miss, I slammed a log doing 35 or 40 going back to the trailer, and it cracked the hull, and ruined all the running gear in a 2002 Calabria.

• Baller
@keith2oskier - The NM course has had 55's for the past decade or so. But it has been out of the water the last few summers due to low water levels. I hear it will be back in this season, with 55s.

I used to be the President years ago but now all comments I see about the Don Pedro Water Ski Club date back to March 2017. Trying to reconnect after being out of state for years. Does anybody know if they are still around? How many members they have? Are there any other waterski clubs in the area? Melones? Camanche? If any DPWSC members read this pls drop me a note alfonsedaudet at gmail or call 360 389 1743. Thanks. Alfonse