HO 2017 SYNDICATE HARDSHELL PLATED BOOT

robb

• Baller
I wear a size 10 1/2 shoe and use the 10/11 size. Size 10 I would go the 10/11 with a 9 1/2 size the deciding factor would be foot width, if you have a wider foot go bigger to the 10/11 the length difference will not be a factor in that instance

• Baller
with hard shell, the liner makes a difference. If you go up in size 9 1/2 and you take a 10/11 then go with a larger liner. if you go down in size go with a smaller liner. when you mold them the smaller one will get thinner giving you more room, opposite for larger one. Good luck.

• Baller

Sizing on the boots has been pretty accurate....it does have a bit narrower toe box like most hard shells do..so if you have a wide foot...you might have to go up a size. For a size 10..you should be fine in a 10/11. Also remember the liners are heat moldable.. and that makes a HUGE difference in the fit if you are boarderline.

Get yours here

• Baller

I have found the Syndicate boot to be sized more accurately, as compared to normal shoe sizes, than the Reflex boots. I wear an 11-12 depending on the shoe brand, and have found the 12 fits me in the Syndicate boot, where I found the Reflex was too big, and was at the absolute upper limit of the 10.

This was not exactly the question, but felt it may be helpful to others reading.

Also, these boots seem to be very liner tolerant, where I originally tested this boot in a thin Reflex liner, that I was not happy with (boot/liner fit, great liner in its own) and have since tried Fluid Motion wrap Intuition liner, and Intuition Aqua liner and have been impressed with the system in both. The thin liner would likely be perfect for someone at the upper end of the size. I'll let you know, as I should have a size 10 on my front door-step now for my ski partner, whose foot is very slightly smaller than mine.

• Baller

I'm picky with liners. Nothing wrong with theirs. I just know the intuition liners outlast just about everything on the market and are comfortable. I was afraid to buy their liner, honestly.

When I see a seam all the way around the footbed, I worry about longevity. The Intuition Aqua is one of the only liners with that design that I've seen last more than a year.

• Baller

Hey guys, sorry I'm a bit late to this post. I've been using our liner for about a year now (~150 sets). Honestly, the only thing that has happened is one thread started to pull loose. A quick dab of SeamGrip stopped it. Also keep in mind that we back the Syndicate Hardshell with a 1-year warranty. We will also be adding the Hardshell to our Syndicate Demo Program in a few weeks...Try before you buy! When we launch that, I'll announce it here on BOS.

As previously mentioned, heat molding the liner is a huge benefit to anyone with fit issues. FWIW, I am a solid 11 street shoe and the 10/11 shell is the one I use.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
@OldboyII Unfortunately we didn't set it up this way due to the way we buy the components...at least not for our first year. I'll note your request and explore this with the team for 2018 model year.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller

@savaiusini How do you heat mold the liner? Temp? Time? Etc. I am a 10 1/2 to 11 shoe wearer. But my 10/11 is so tight in the toes that I can hardly put it on! I want to try heat molding it before I consider getting the bigger size.

Thank you.

• Baller

I do it in my home oven. Set to 170° (lowest temp my oven goes) with the door cracked. Set the liner in a paper bag on a cookie sheet in the center of the oven for about 15-18 minutes. Keep an eye on it always making sure the bag can't touch the heating element. The liner will begin to splay open a bit. This is how you know it's ready.

Take the liner out, put it on your foot and fasten the strap. Carefully slide into the shell and buckle the boot; making sure the liner doesn't catch on the heel tabs. A couple kicks of the heel on a hard surface will help ensure your foot is all the way back in the boot. Wiggle your toes and stand still for about 10 minutes and you're all set!

If any of the above makes you uncomfortable, you can also take it to your local ski shop (one that also does snow ski boots) that has an oven specifically for this purpose.

I find that heat molding makes a huge difference especially if you have a high instep or you're close to needing the next size up.

• Baller

Hopefully this will help somebody– I have a 10.5 foot that is pretty wide and flat. Every shoe I have is a 10.5, from a Reebok Nano (wide toe box) to Sperrys (very narrow toe box), even my Rollerblades are 10.5 (Metroblade GM). I tried the 10/11 size in the HO hardshell and my big toe was way, way too crushed into the toe box. I had to go up to the 11/12 which seemed comically large, like a clown shoe in comparison, but much more comfortable.

I'm really disappointed that after investing in this system, there is no option to put an additional plate on my trick ski. I'm wondering if I could just construct a plate from Reflex parts for my trick ski? Possible?

• Baller

@jhughes before you take radical measures you may try few things:

1) custom insole with high foot arch could move toe finger few mm back

2) Intuition people advise to shave liner in the area of pressure spots. Yes, literally shave it with razor or sharp blade. This will make liner thinner in troubled area and you win extra few mm.

3) Once in Alps I had similar problem - toenail got black of pressure, I went nuts and simply cut a hole in liner where it meets toe finger. And... problem dissolved. :)

• Baller
@jhughes and @OldboyII We are considering offering the plates and the shells separately next season. However, our decision this year was driven almost entirely by our dealer network for whom stocking individual components tends to be cumbersome and expensive. Again, I'm taking this feedback to the product team on your behalf.

• Baller

Hello everyone.

This season I want to switch from rubber to hardshell.

Questions:

-are there any issues to keep in mind when I will start in new bindings?

-is it advised to start season in old binding or go with hardshell from firsts sets?

Thanks!

• Baller
@OldboyII start the year on a new hard shell, buckle the upper loose at first. make sure you dry test the release first. it may take a set or two to get used the feeling but you will not regret the move to a hard shell I would get the HO shell. Deano

• Baller
Thought I would give you an update on my fitting of the new hardshell. I'm a size 11 foot so I got the 10/11 hardshell. When I first got it and tried to put it on I couldn't even get my foot in it. I thought there was no way this was going to work. I got a screwdriver and pushed the handle-end into the toebed. Then I was able to at least get my foot in. Apparently the toe-end part of the liner was bunching. But it was still extremely tight. So then I followed @savaiusini instructions to heat-mold the liner. I followed his instructions with one little change. I took a sock that had padded toes and cut the end off and put that over my toes. Then I put my foot in the liner after it came out of the oven. Results, I have a great fitting boot! So go by your shoe size when choosing the HO hardshell.

• Baller

@Garn great to hear! A toe cap is sometimes a nice way to go, for sure. One nice thing about our liner however, is that the toe panel is made of neoprene instead of the foam used on the rest of the liner. This allows for a comfortable amount of toe wiggle regardless of whether you cook the liner or not.

I also wanted to remind folks about the inclusion of the Syndicate Hardshell to our Demo Program. If you are on the fence, try the boot for a couple weeks and make sure it works for you.

For more info, CLICK HERE

• Baller
Jeeze, now you guys are making me second guess my boot size choice. FWIW I had both sizes side by side and tried them back and fourth multiple times. My big toe was really crowded in the 10/11 though I'd say the 11/12 was a little too big but at least not crowded. The toe portion of the liner on the Syndicate boot is neoprene and thin already and I wasn't going to cut or irreversibly modify the liner in the shop to see if that might make it fit, nor cook the liner in the shop and then try it, ha.

• Baller

@jhughes - I've been using the large(st) reflex shell for some years. (my shoe size 10.5 x-wide) That shell gave me plenty of toe room...probably too much...especially after reading the Adams' write-up about hardshells and the importance of the ball or your foot being firmly planted to the ski. So I opted for the 10/11 HO shell. Yeah, it does feel constricting to the toes...but I'm feeling it's also a good thing. The HO liner footbed is quite foamy/cushy (too thick perhaps?) which detracts from the direct connection to the ski. But I haven't done the heat-mold procedure. Will do that asap.

I like Deanoski's idea, so I'll try that too.

• Baller

@jhughes - I've been using the large(st) reflex shell for some years. (my shoe size 10.5 x-wide) That shell gave me plenty of toe room...probably too much...especially after reading the Adams' write-up about hardshells and the importance of the ball or your foot being firmly planted to the ski. So I opted for the 10/11 HO shell. Yeah, it does feel constricting to the toes...but I'm feeling it's also a good thing. The HO liner footbed is quite foamy/cushy (too thick perhaps?) which detracts from the direct connection to the ski. But I haven't done the heat-mold procedure. Will do that asap.

I like Deanoski's idea, so I'll try that too.

I was getting foot cramps after about 3-4 passes and after I heat molded the liner, that went away. No more cramping in my sets :)

I used a good long sock to heat mold my liner and I feel that worked really well to give me a little bit of extra room I needed. Set oven on lowest setting and then placed it directly on a cookie sheet for 15 mins. I like the paper bag Idea better though.

• Baller
Will is always tinkering with his gear. You'll find a lot of tinkering among the elite ranks. The result is that a lot of this eventually ends up finding it's way into production models once refined.

• Baller

I've ridden my HO hardshell for 6 sets now and here's some feedback. I'm coming off multiple years on the the FM EVO series. While I like the boot flexibility of the FMs the uncertainty of the FM system bothered me a bit. Time to try something new.

Marc and Bailey Austin set me up with a new HO binding (thanks to Bailey and Marc!).

The key for me switching to the HO was using my old FM liner. Nothing wrong with the HO liner - I've just found that at least for me sometimes changing a liner makes more of a difference than switching the actual binding.

I really like the ability to put my foot into the HO binding and adjust the buckles at the same tension and comfort level - every - single - time. Reducing variability with my skiing is a big deal for me.

Six sets in my only problem is a small crack in the front footbed interface up by the toe area. At first I was honestly not sure how much this small crack affected the safety of the release mechanism. After some analysis I suspect it doesn't affect the release very much if at all, however, I'm going to replace the front interface.

I've heard that this is a something that HO has had a problem with - but they've corrected the problem (the Austins are getting me a new one interface - whoo hoo!).

For a rear I'm using a Reflex R style rear. I was a bit worried coming off the FM rear (since it had more material around my ankle) but after a couple of sets I stopped noticing the difference.

So far the HO is really working well for me.

• Baller

how are people finding the release-ability of the boot?

It makes sense that it is virtually the same as a reflex, but potentially with less ability to twist out and pre release due to the shape of the toe loop and plate negative? I am currently on a black shell reflex and strongly considering making the switch next season.

• Administrators

@auskier exactly the same as Reflex. Neither system is really designed for a flat twisting release. I think a fall where your heal is not being pulled up from the ski is relatively improbable.

The only system on the market that can give you that kind of release is MOB.