98 CC GT40 Trans Oil Change

BCM

• Baller
Went to change the trany fluid in my 98 CC yesterday. Figured I had time while the engine oil was draining. Pulled the trany dipstick (right at full mark), grabbed by oil sucker, tried to suck the oil out, but I can't get the tube for my oil sucker deep enough to suck the oil. I primarily use said sucker on pickup transmissions/differentials/t-cases and have used it on a few MC transmissions. It looks like the dipstick goes into a rather small diameter hole before reaching the oil, my suction device has a larger tube. Is there another plug that I can pull to gain better access for suction? Do I need to use a small (maybe 1/8") hose to get down into the where the dipstick goes? Any help is appreciated.

• Baller

Yes. I've been using the Arnold Siphon Pump for this exact application for years. It's a little messy, but has the right diameter tube - 1/8" sounds about right. Cover your carpet, and make sure that the reserviour that you are pumping into is well anchored. Lowes sells them.

I cannot get the link tool to work properly, and don't want to get slammed for a long link, so just go to Lowes website and search for "Arnold Siphon Pump". The other Big Box stores sell them as well.

p.s. Don't be overly aggressive inserting the sypon tube. You don't want to get it stuck.

• Baller
You can get a $5 pump from Harbor Freight that attaches to your drill. Put a tube for a ice maker in your fridge on one end the other connect a garden hose into a gallon milk jug. So easy even I could do it.

• Baller_
@BCM : The Arnold suction pump is offered at Harbor Freight for $6.99. It can be messy and if you use one, make sure you hold the tubes on the housing as they tend to slip off as the pump gets a bit seasoned. I use an old milk jug as the capture tank.

• Baller
I use a small electric pump (powered by my boat battery) that sits on the lid of a 5 gallon bucket. The pump sucks oil through a small diameter clear plastic tube with a 6"-8" piece of hydraulic brake line on the end. The piece of brake line inserts into the transmission dipstick hole. The oil goes into the bucket. The brake line is stiff so it inserts and comes out of the dipstick hole easily and goes all the way to the bottom of the transmission case. It's quick, easy, and no mess.

• Baller
I use a drill pump and connect the flex tube to a copper tube (probably similar to brake line mentioned above) - I remember reading somewhere that a flexible tube can get caught in the transmission and then possibly shred or come apart a bit when removing- obviously shreds or chunks of tubing in the transmission are not a good thing.

• Baller

Thanks. Sounds like I need to get a small tube all the way to the bottom of the dip stick tube. I should be able to snake some brake line down there and attach to my sucker.

I use a manual suction device, looks similar to a grease gun, without the lever. It sucks about 1/2 quart at a time, but is pretty clean. I have not had good luck with electric pumps and stick to the simple stuff.

• Baller
@BCM I have a '99 GT-40 SN, and like mentioned above, I disconnect the hose going from the transmission to the cooler (at the cooler), put an extension hose to drop through the drain plug hole in the bilge, with a pan below to catch. Seems to get more than I have been able to via a pump at the transmission dip stick.

• Baller

@ToddA and @Mark_Matis - I like that idea, I will give that a shot. I really like the idea of having the catch pan under the boat rather than in it.

Given that it only takes 2 quarts of Dexron my theory in the past has been that you won't get all of the oil out, but if you change it regularly (maybe every 50 hours or more often) you are cycling the old out and replacing with new over a handful of changes. I generally try to change the tranny fluid when I change the engine oil. But, I enjoy tinkering on the boat, so I find a few rainy Saturdays a season to pull the boat in the garage and crank up some hair metal and clean, adjust, tinker, etc.

• Baller

@BCM be careful fishing that tube deeper. About 4 years ago I kept pushing the tube to what I thought was the pan and get a better flow going only to get the tube stuck where there is a splash guard type piece of sheet metal that follows the tranny gears. Same exact boat as yours....Tube broke off and I was deep pooh. Ended up having to hire a patient of mine who worked on boats to remove the trany to get the tube out. I have pics somewhere.

Getting the gears lined up to put it back together was the most time/$ consuming part.

Sounds like you have a handle on it with all the suggestions, I just wanted to share my story and what can go wrong If you have me help you work on your boat,...ha!