Palm protectors

cragginshred

• Baller
I used them for years in the 1980's. I too made them custom (my sister sewed them). I ordered from Skiwarm material in 1,2, and 3mm. These covered my entire palm and were easy to make. Measure you hand width cut out the thumb and sew them with nylon string down one side. I used the 3mm ones underneath padded gloves for handball and the one and two mm for skiing. Two mm to start the season and one mm once my hands got conditioned. Worked great but use Kevlar liners now.

• Baller

Change the way you grip the handle, from your base of your hands/palms towards the finger tips (just past the middle knuckle). This significantly reduced the amount of calluses and blisters I got.

Grainger makes a nice kevlar liner that is much cheaper than most ski companies sell.

• Baller

I run a straight line pictured above under an overton's. They are bulky when new but thin out quickly...like a set or two. They slide over one another so your skin layers don't have to do so. I hold onto lots of stuff I shouldn't (I know...) and seldom lose a callus.

Haven't had same success on kevlar glove liners.

Caveat is I don't let go of anything (historically...trying to do better), I tend to pocket the handle a little deeper in the palm as opposed to the fingertips of the great skiers so more hand trauma results without layers.

@skibrain take your ring off when skiing!!

• Baller
@wtrskior and @skibrain - I have many friends/family in EMS and I work in the woods. I only wear a metal ring around town (date nights, office days, etc.). Any time I am doing ANYTHING more than typing with my hands I wear a Qalo silicone ring. $25, super comfortable and the ring will rip before your finger does. Best $25 I have spent in a long time.

• Baller

@BCM I don't wear mine at all and never liked wearing rings, to my wife's dismay :) I watched Jimmy Fallon talk about his accident involving his ring finger. I think he was promoting a similar type of rubber ring.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/14/media/jimmy-fallon-injury-finger/

this was a kitchen accident, not high impact waterskiing.

Not to get too off topic, but I have the masteline liners and palm protectors. I only wear them when I am skiing back to back days in Florida water, otherwise I don't tend to need them.

best thing I've done is use smaller tightest fitting gloves I can get my hands into, treat my hands with "working hands" moisturizer and use a pumice stone to shave off dead skin after my daily shower.

Blue glove lined that only D3 sells (website) are the best. Don't like neoprene, too thick, these are just right. Preferably with thin gloves like ProGear or Miami Nautique. I use a thin handle. In extreme heat, I even used two pairs of liners and a size bigger glove. Not a great feel but really helps avoid blisters. Hats down to all the tough guys who don't mind holes in their hands!

• Baller
If you like the Palm straps, try making them out of old innertube rubber. For Kevlar gloves, most safety supply houses sell the thin Kevlar for working with sharp objects. Pretty cheap by the dozen.

• Baller

Simple, comfortable, never bunches or pinches, fits in tight gloves, and provides full coverage. I made a cardboard template that I can trace onto old 1 mm neoprene (up to 2 mm) with a silver sharpie. And I cut the finger holes with a 1/2" punch I bought online (I used to hammer on a sharpened 1/2" pipe to cut out the finger holes.)

afulo2rintbx.jpg

9nntk10pdj28.jpg