2017 HO VTX Unboxing

Horton

• Baller
@Horton Can you do a comparision of the rocker to your Goode XT? Seems HO has gone down the rocker route with this ski very unlike past HOs. Also, what about stiffnes? I can actually flex my XT on the dock, where as HOs you can not.

• Administrators

@wawaskr Flex and Rocker are only two factors in how a ski feels on the water. Ski designers look at the rocker line of the tunnel and the rocker line of the rail separately. It would be impossible to do a meaningful comparison with out both CAD files. Furthermore the flex pattern of the VTX is different from what I have seen in other HOs or any other ski before.

You will never know what a ski feels like until you ski on it. If Ski X has a flex and or rocker like Ski Y that does not mean they will ski alike.

• Baller
@Horton - understood, but just doing the calibrated eye test, the rocker profile is quite a drastic departure from HO's of the past (flat stick, low profile tip). Would you say the flex on the VTX is quite a bit softer than previous HO's?

• Administrators

@wawaskr

Couple of things:

The tip rocker of the VTX is a bit of an optical illusion. Because the ski gets thinner in the front it looks like there is more rocker then there is. The rocker of the top of the ski is not the same as the rocker of the bottom of the ski. The tip does kick up a lot but that part of the ski is rarely in the water

As far as the rocker pattern for the part of the ski that is actually in the water you would need use a granite table to measure that. I do not think it is radical but I will look next time I go to my lake office.

As for the flex. VTX is slightly stiffer than my 2016 VTR was except for the very tail. I know enough about flex numbers to know the VTX numbers are different than other HOs but until I ride the ski I can't even guess the impact.

• Baller
@Bruce55 Nice! Glad to hear your first impression was so positive. Just a quick question though... 0.100 long is more than a little off. That would put it at 7.06". Is that what you measured? Or did you mean it was long by 0.010?

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations