2015 Prostar Touchscreen Flaking Out

Texas6

• Baller

Ugh, this was always my concern on the touchscreen - but I'm hoping one of you guys shows me an easy re-boot sort of a fix:). I took a set this morning and the screen just started going from normal, to almost all white about every 5 seconds. I could change ZO as needed, and everything engaged properly, but clearly the screen is having a moment. Any thoughts on an easy remedy here, or does it need to go in?

Thanks in advance,

Daryn Dean

• Baller

I would do the obvious shut down of all power, then reboot. If it continues after, I'd let the dealer know I'm on my way. Hopefully it's just a one-off glitch, but if not, let the warranty do its thing.

FWIW, on delivery day in 2012, my brother's SN Linc system wouldn't boot up during our first ride in the boat. We shut down all power, rebooted, and it's been perfect ever since. Weird?!

• Baller
I had a hell of a time with Stargazer glitches on my boat and, and as Jody suggested, the issues all related back to both ground issues and a weak battery not getting consistent volts to the dash. Once I got the power straightened out, Stargazer has run perfect ever since.

• Baller
@Texas6 we have a 2015 Prostar with screen issues too. Ours will toggle between screens without and prompting, most of the time it switches to the keyboard screen and you cannot get it to go back. None of the touch screen buttons will work and neither will the rubber buttons. Sometimes you can get it back to the ZO screen, sometimes not. Sometimes the "+" will toggle on without any prompting, sometimes it will bump up th 36 mph. The dealer tried to tell me that the screen may be dirty (it isn't) or that the battery may be too weak (it isn't). We shall see what comes of it; but, it is under warranty so I expect it to be taken care of one way or another.

• Baller
PM Sent @TFIN - Thanks for jumping in, and for all the guidance ballers! I fully recognize shi@ happens - and I love the boat - it's just that getting service is such a process and time suck that I avoid at all costs if possible. I generally drive my boat from Houston to MC in Austin for service just so I can hopefully get it back quicker and not lose a month somewhere on the water (which it a very real timeframe). Thanks for all the help guys!!!

• Baller
I had similar issues with a 2014 recently. Took video of the screen going to keyboard mode, or not being able to select ZO letters etc. MasterCraft sent a replacement screen, put it in, all worked well for about three hours till we started jump with the boat, issues started again. Crossing the wakes caused a loose connection to act up, (as Jody said), we found the plug to the Zero off head unit, down on the foot board, had one pin (of three) not connecting properly. It looks like it could have been that way from manufacture.

• Baller
My 2016 was doing the switch to keyboard or popup the letter/number selector without me actually touching it. The local Mastercraft dealer tested it and couldn't duplicate the issue, so they sent the screen to Mastercraft who also could not duplicate the issue on the test bench. Mastercraft then installed the unit in a boat and took it out on the water where it proceeded to malfunction. They sent a brand new unit to my local dealer and all has been well since then. I'm quite pleased with the response from both the local dealer and Mastercraft. I had 4 Nautiques before this boat and Correct Craft and their dealers always took good care of me, very nice to see the same level of service coming from Mastercraft :smile:

• Baller
@LeonL - You can say that again. A couple of years ago, I was Chief driver for our first record tournament of the season and my first driver of the day was to drive the Mastercraft. He came to me and asked me to come down to the boat with him to show him how to use the screen as he hadn't driven the newer Mastercraft yet. I said "go down to the boat and play with the screen; I'll be down in two minutes and you won't need me." When I arrived at the boat a couple of minutes later, he said "Holy crap, why aren't they all like this!?!"

• Baller
Have not used the prostar screen yet but I think I would have felt more comfortable if I had a gauge option. It just seems like screens in our ski/ boating environment aren't a good mix. I'm worried when the boat is 10 +years old and out of warranty.

• Baller

Aren't these screens basically tablets? Isn't heat and water bad for electronics? I agree with @LoopSki that I would have big concerns with how these would hold up 5, 10, 15+ years down the lake.

What is the replacement cost if its not covered under warranty?

Same issue with my '14. Zero off would toggle in and out and would then flip to the keyboard screen. Sometimes it would flip to the Accessory screen and then lock up. Recycling the disconnect switch would fix it half the time. Checked all connectors, did the wiggle test on the DT connectors rear of the display. All independent of speed, condition, moisture or ambient temperature. Also it was very intermittent. I was finally able to capture a couple videos. Dealer and MC replaced it. I just put it in and am anxious to see if my issue is fixed.

• Baller
@Texas6 Looks like you need some pieces of aluminum foil on the rabbit ears:) Sorry, I know it isn't funny when your boat is down, just couldn't help myself. Probably showing my age though. Seriously though, if you have already unplugged and replugged all of the connectors, checked the grounds, unhooked the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and reinstalled, done the good old Fonzie "whack the dash really hard" a couple times, and unplugged all of the connectors and looked for pins not fully inserted into the connectors (taking a good picture of the pins and zooming in helps here), I would say you have an intermittently bad screen that needs to be replaced. I have seen several instances of ZeroOff connectors with pins not fully inserted causing intermittent problems, as sometimes there is a connection and sometimes there isn't or there is a high resistance connection at times.

@Texas6...I pulled the display, sent it to dealer and dealer sent on to MC. MC sent dealer a new display to forward on to me...after they did analysis. I did the reinstall. I'm 850 miles from my dealer I like to work with. I could have had a more local dealer do the work but just wanted to stick with my guy. Also, my dealer said he would pull a new display out of an inventory boat to keep me going. I didn't need to to this because we aren't running yet.

@Texas6 ... yah love my dealer!!! If you plan to do same, pretty simple job...but there is a method. Most important is removing driver's seat so you don't have to stand on your head.

On root cause...no idea and MC did not share. To be honest, I'm not convinced mine is actually display related.

• Baller
Update: I called my dealer which is Boat Town in Austin,TX. I took a video of my problem, started up the boat up to prove it wasn't voltage related. The dealer had to call MasterCraft and get approval to order a new screen in advance of my bringing it in (because they are so expensive). Within an hour, the dealer called me back, told me he had approval, and that that they would have a replacement screen ready to go by end of week. They also committed to change it out while I wait as early as Friday. I was quite impressed to say the least. It's a two hour drive each way for me, and I make that drive to this dealer for this reason - Impressive service