Double bindings versus rear toe plate.

oneski

• Baller
I've been skiing on double powershell bindings for years and now thinking about switching to a rear toe plate. Curious to hear from folks here who have made the transition on their preference. Also, I'm on a Goode N-1 with Powershells and would like to know the best way to put on a RTP. Should I cut off the Powerplate at the heel of the front boot and then attach a RTP on a separate Powerplate? (I have a spare Powerplate with double bindings, so I'm not afraid to experiment on one).

• Baller
Been there done that found some good, found some bad and ended up back on double boots after everything fell apart mid season. Back on doubles and set a practice PB ... Thanks @FWinter and @OB1 for helping me get back on track. One of my skiing buddies has also just switched back to doubles after a few seasons on a kicker and is a full pass better and skiing into -41.

• Supporting Member

If you'd like to learn about how skis and bindings really work, then absolutely go for it. RTP is totally different and makes you aware of new things and gives a new perspective.

Depending on how long you've been on dual boot and how athletic you are, be prepared for the possibility of being unable to run your opener for multiple sets!

If you are expecting a performance gain, then you probably will need to be incredibly patient. I can only think of a handful of folks who made a permanent switch and felt they got a major benefit out of it. They were all young and athletic...

Search up my "blog" about RTP from last year here on BoS. It can be viewed as a cautionary tale, depending again on what your goals are. But it also contains a few potentially useful things to try, if you do decide to go for it.

• Baller
I am a RTP guy. What I learned on, what I feel comfortable on and not to mention..... I put doubles on and couldn't even get out of the water for the life of me??? Guess I am used to the free heel feeling. Try it out, but I would stick with what you know and progress that way.

• Baller

Have you considered going half-way? By this I mean using a half shell like the Fluid Motion RS or the Reflex R-style.

I have recently made the opposite transition, so from 22 years of RTP to the Fluid Motion RS, and I am very convinced that this system maintains the advantages of RTP and rear boot. That is, freedom of movement off the edge change (RTP) and stability & ski control approaching the wakes (rear boot).

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller

@oneski when you are ready to loose the tape, I can easily adapt your Powershells to the MOB system like I did for @OB1 and I can even make your rear boot into a rear style for you.

I agree that the lower cut boot in the rear makes it easier to get your COM forward on the new style skis and reduces over influencing the turn with your rear foot/leg. It helped me!

9uhh6aklw30r.jpeg

og3wbjjzqyhd.jpeg

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
I moved from 2013 Radar Vapor double boots to a reflex super shell in the front and a reflex r in the back. I have only taken 2 rides on the new setup and I already love it. Comfort, control, and it's forgiving.