Oldest pic of you skiing

• Baller

@jetpilotg4 - that was all about having fun. Fun is all that matters for the little ones. Anything that connects skiing with fun equates to early adoption of the sport.

FWIW, his next time in the pool was on a ski skimmer. Mom at one end, dad with rope at the other. Mom held the skimmer such that Matt could stand knee-deep ready to go. I just pulled the rope hand-over-hand until he made it across. (50' community pool) 1 Dad Power was all it took to keep him on top and skimming. My arms wore out before his interest. Second time was at a public lake with family floating out about 40' near a floating dock. We did the same thing from the shore line out to the dock. Matt learned how to lean and edge due to his desire to ski close past nearby family. Third step was from shore to boat. We tricked him by keeping the boat in idle and slowly switching from Dad power to the boat's pull. He was then hooked.

• Baller

@ESPNSkier looks familiar! Here's my 72 National Tow Boat I've been restoring over the past few years. Would love to see any other pics you may have!

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj532/chrismars515/47DE53A6-596E-4373-86AD-281603FD0D24_zpskffjccyu.jpg

• Baller

@ESPNSkier Unfortunately it's not. Mine is "1939", another CCFan owns "2011" but I know a few other "promo" owners and will check their serial numbers.

Here's a sample from our "Dos Promos" photo shoot at a gathering in North Carolina. Probably the first time these boats have been together in 40 years?

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj532/chrismars515/_TMP6741_zpslm9sbn5h.jpg

Nobody took a picture. Had huge walmart trainers. Was in my mid twenties behind a chaparral I/O. Took a few months to get up (deep water) and a few more to drop a ski. After that, we got a ski boat, Our ski Brendella was fine. We got Connelly concepts Slalom skis and found a course.

• Baller

@mopowpow good stuff. Started at Iowa in '91...lots of time on Coralville Lake (the Rez) while running tourneys on the river in Waverly, at Eagle Lake in Waterloo, Pickle Farm and Clear Water in Des Moines, and later Dream Lake Estates--you are at Dream Lake Estates, correct?

I remember the early days there...two houses and a mud-pile with a big rain before the tournament it was hell getting the promo boats into the water even with a tractor and a lot of people-power.

@6balls, yes I'm at Dream Lake Estate. We only have 1 tournament a year now, the Iowa Games/state tourney. Most of the owners don't ski it anymore. Good thing ISU puts our lake to good use.

We used to ski at Coralville all the time before we got our first inboard, my inlaws kept their boat there. We might have seen you, we were usually drooling over the inboards.

• Baller
@mopowpow , I was a Glastron skier too. Ours was a 1980 with an Evinrude, tan and gold flake brown sparkle, known affectionately as the Sparkle Boat. At some point, we put one of those Casad pylons in. Maybe I will see if I can find an old pic of us skiing in that boat. Visiting Mom this weekend, so could be an opportunity.

• Baller

Long line barefoot 22 years old circa '92 150hp Johnson on 16.5 Doral ... used to do it all (slalom , skurf. kneeboard) but can't find any slalom pics right off hand ... self taught ... LOTS of painful lessons!

lnlscjn9qdq3.jpg

@sunvalleylaw, the Glastron we used was a mid-70s tri-hull, orange and cream. We called it the Dreamcicle. It actually had pretty good hole shot for an I/O, but boy did it go through the gas! Our 1993 Sport Nautique used about half the gas.

• Baller
@mopowpow , I originally learned behind an old tri-hull, owned by a friend's family. It had something like a Johnson 85 or 90 or something. And you had to pull it up and put it down by hand. You could drain any water in the boat by pulling the plug from the inside, while at speed. And it had 6 gal cans that you had to mix the oil in. We usually took two for a day. It was avocado green and cream. You had to drag a leg to get up on the old Connelly hook we skied on. This was all in the salt waters of puget sound. It was fun to jump yacht wakes too. :) (dang kids!)

• Baller

I think I have you all beat. This was the day I did my first deepwater start on a slalom, ca 1969. Cypress Gardens Lil' Monster! It was in Sarasota Bay, behind Dad's Wellcraft. No full pass at shortline, but boy I was proud! xss7mnpskdbp.jpg