Prevent ski from cutting handle?????

oldmanskier

• Baller

I ski on a Goode Wide Ride. When doing deep water starts the ski tends to slice in to the rope on the handle. I know some companies have guards on their handles to prevent this. I currently wrap heavy Duty Gorilla Tape around the rope on the handle and that works ok. I just have to add tape from time to time. I thought about using shrink wrap tubing like they use in electrical but was not for sure if during the heating process with a hot air gun if it would damage the rope.

Anyone have suggestions for protecting the handle from ski cutting it?

Thanks.

Oldmanskier

• Baller
Shrink wrap will work too. Masterline uses a heavy (thick) piece on their handles. I also ski on a Goode wide ride and it's barely scratched the protected ML handle whereas the unprotected handles will wear thru in about 2-3 months.

• Baller
I ski with the heavy duty Masterline and I cut right through the plastic tube with Goode's. I have tried to tweak my start but it still happens. I put a few layers of gorilla tape on that side and it buys me some time. Enough that I usually wear out the handle from normal use before the ski cuts are a problem.

• Baller
@JAS that's what they call irreversible tuning. You start sanding on the edge of a ski and you change the characteristics of the ski. Those edges are one of the things that make skis do what they do.

• Baller
I use the carbon handle and i still cut through the plastic. So I double up with plastic tubing from Home Depot. I cut it in the middle a bit to go up the V and leave some past the V. That seems to do the trick.

• Baller
I slightly sanded the top edge of my Rev6 from abeam the forward part of front binding on the side of ski that touches the handle to the tip. I was chewing through a handle line every month before that. Almost no sign of cutting It and handle looks brand new after 4 months

• Baller
@Than_Bogan I do. But sometimes when up to 10 people waiting at the dock it is not fair to ask to change handles. Boat works like non stop shuttle. That place is hotel with waterski facility. At the high season too many come.

• Baller
I'm using Masterline Carbon Custom handles for ever, great handle but I was always jealous of how much lighter the standard custom handle is and this season decided to get rid of the tubing be more careful at the water starts and restring when needed. Anyway Custom Carbon handle us the hustle free way to go!