Sub Buoys - Lost course

bojans

• Baller

The short question, does anyone have any other sub buoys they are using other than the ones from skier to skier?

The long explanation of why the question - we went out to install our course yesterday and as we started looking for sub buoys we were unable to locate 16 of the 26. As you start at the south end of the lake heading north every sub buoy is missing until you get to 4 ball, there we found 1 gate and no turn ball, 5 we found both gates, no turn ball and from 6 north we have everything. We are at a loss as to what happened here. Our first thought was some malicious activity but we are on a private site developed with homes around it. Really no opportunity for someone to put a boat in and mess with things plus, we do not see any rope or sub buoys floating on shore. Our other thought turned to the recent arrival of Zebra mussels, perhaps they collected so heavily on the rope and sub buoy that they sank them or an animal, like a muskrat, started eating the Zebra mussels and chewed up the sub buoys. We will know more after we dive this coming weekend but we need to buy new rope and sub buoys to be ready.

• Baller_

Turtles will sometimes nibble on them, but rarely chew enough to make it disappear. Beavers will usually chew the rope, so the rope and sub will end up on shore (I've lost a dozen to beavers since last fall)

My guess is you have some other sort of critter.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
We resurrected an old course last year after about seven years of non-use. We had muskrats eat some of our subfloats completely, but only in shallow areas. They didn't chew the ropes, maybe because our old subs had a hard plastic rope sleeve. We found some harder, molded subs that they don't seem to chew. Because they have a non-porous surface, the seem to stay cleaner, too. They're just fishing markers- cheap, like $3/each and work fine after a year.

• Baller
We completely rebuilt our course with stainless steel line and PVC pipe "sub-buoys" because of beaver and other critters that seemed to think that our course was "food." Exactly what @A_B is suggesting. The pipe sections are about 12 inches long injected with spray foam. Haven't had a problem since. I will see if I can dig up a picture.

• Baller
We've lost 8+ buoys in the last 5 days. Most were not found, but the few we did find were near shore or on shore, the zip ties were gone and each had several small holes in them. Could a beaver or muskrat have done this? Our initial thought was a jet ski, trolling motor prop strike or that had been shot, but in these cases, wouldn't the buoys just have been punctured, deflated and remained connected to the bungee cords?

• Baller

@igkya usually muskrats will leave teeth marks, its possible that they leave small holes. As you stated, they should still be attached though.

@ktm300 tell me what was the method of execution. Ours seem to work night shift, and seeing as how I don't see so well in the dark I'm looking for relief.

• Baller

@LeonL don't know where you are - but air rifles have gotten pretty good and usually aren't terribly restricted. Many handycam/camcorders have passable night vision modes, and there are readily available adapters to mount a camcorder to look into a spotting scope/rifle scope.

It is a little annoying not really looking through the scope but for Rats it is an effective strategy. I'd imagine same for muskrats.

• Baller
I dont see beavers or other rodents as the big issue. What is the plan for the Zebra Mussels???? The infested lakes I have seen have been somewhat devastated by them. Our local governments have an active campaign to keep them out of the lakes. Drive by an inspection station with a boat and dont stop = $1500 fine.

• Baller_
@S1Pitts, the zebra mussels will eventually clean the lake so well that they exhaust their own food source and die off. Other than that, the only plan is boat flushing and trailer washing to lessen transfer.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

Zebra mussels are the scourge of a lake. Part of the problem is the shells are like razor blades. Step on one and you are guaranteed a nasty cut, same with picking things up with your hand. Happened to me more than once and you don't even feel it before you see the blood.

MISkier is correct, they will explode in growth, wipe out the lakes ecosystem from the bottom up, they are filter feeders, and within a few years you have a sterile lake and the mussels die.

Then when the lake comes back repeat the cycle.

Interesting that in Wisconsin some water chemistries are not conducive to ZM growth, one lake will be infested, another will only support limited populations.

Waterfowl picking up mussels and milfoil can thwart the best efforts at hull and bilge cleaning.

• Baller
@jercrane, we used to use those for boat buoys and have them as subs on our jump anchors. Though they seem to be the same material as the subs the muskrats devoured at our lake, these have not deteriorated in a lot of years- plus they're big enough to find. Good choice, I think.