Women's Slalom Ski Recommendations (improving intermediate skier)

ajgear

Anyone have a recommendation for a women's slalom ski? My wife is 5'7" and about 125. She has slalomed a fair bit, but almost always on skis that were too big for her (men's skis). She skied a friend's ski (women specific) and it made a world of difference. I'd say she's an "intermediate", but could work toward "advanced" in a hurry with the right gear. I really want to get her a ski that can help with that progression. Any Ideas?

• Baller
Hands down I'd recommend a 2014+ Radar Lithium Vapor. I've seen a bunch of gals in that skill range really improve radically on that ski, my wife included. We are talking running the course at 26 mph as far as skill level.

I should also put a caveat on this re: price. Just looked at the Lithium Vapor, and it does look great...until I scroll to the price. I'm looking to be all-in with bindings for +/- $650. I made the mistake of buying my wife a better road bike than I had. It ended up costing me a fair chunk of change, simply because I refused to have a lesser bike. :)

• Baller
Check out ski-it-again for deals. Vapors or nice, but I'd go to a Senate over the Lyric if you go that way. Both have the same shape but the Lyric has very little fin adjustment, its basically a fixed fin. Horton reviewed the Connelly Carbon-V recently that might be a possibility too.

• Baller_

More important than model would be the right size ski and properly fitting binding. If she is skiing 32-34mph, she should be on a 65". If slower than 30, go with a 66".

Any relatively new (last 2-4 years) model from either radar or D3 would be a good choice.

Bindings are tougher. Best option would be to get a blank ski from ski-it-again, then call radar, D3 or Wileys for a binding and toe piece for her size foot. If you do find a ski with binding, be prepared to swap it out of it doesn't fit well.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
@ajgear What level skier is she? Intermediate/Advanced is too vague. Is it intermediate shortline -28 to -35? Is it intermediate open water non-course 28-30mph, turnin' hard with big spray? Either all good as long as she is having fun but significantly different skis would be appropriate.

• Baller
I'm of the belief that there really is no such thing as a ski that is "too good" for the skier. In this industry the better ski is the better ski for everybody. Cheaper skis are marketed toward less skilled skiers but they are also coincidentally way cheaper. If the correct ski for a beginner was 1500.00 does that change the fact that it is the correct ski? Anyway, it's an odd dynamic. A 2014 Lithium is going to be a few hundred bucks and be a great ski for the OP. Plus it's green and cool looking for sure.

• Baller
If you go to Skiitagain and find an ad from Susi in Spartansburg, NC, she has numerous older but new skis for sale. We picked up a pink Radar Strada for my wife and it is a great ski for a great price.

@BRY she's all open water. Usually 15 or 22 off and running +/- 28 mph (though I think she'd ski faster on a ski that fits her). She can throw down a few hard turns, but doesn't really link them together well yet. I doubt she'll ski a course any time in the near future, but it's possible.

• Baller
@ajgear At her level sure she could ski on a Vapor or a VTX or most of the shortline buoy skis. IMHO she will have better success and therefore more fun with more of a mid-range ski like the Lyric, Senate, CX and the like. My wife runs the course up through 30mph and loves her older Lyric. She is going to demo soon the new Lyric (2016 Vapor based shape), a Senate Lithium and something else. Will be interesting to see how a Senate Lithium works out for her. When I got the Lyric from Perfski they but a Radar adjustable fin block on it for her. Set it at stock Senate, made a couple minor tweaks that worked for her and have left it since.