2017 Radar Senate Lithium - Review

Horton

• Baller

Demoed and bought one yesterday.

Upgraded from a 15 year old O'Brien siege. I wasn't convinced at my level that I needed a new ski quite yet. I was impressed how much more stable it was through the wakes. Effortless angle, I think it'll be a game changer for me to improve my technique on this summer.

Thought I'd post since this review was certainly the reason I set up a demo.

• Baller

@Obrienslalom...interesting comments. Have noticed that this ski cuts through the 15 off wake with much less of a jolt than the old '14 Vapor. Don't know if it's because of the improved edge and angle or ski shape!?

Used to be a bit apprehensive and guarded skiing behind my friends Sanger DX2. Now no issue.

• Baller

1st run this am on the senate . Stock setting , bindings up a touch. Came from a GT. 1st impressions =. very stable and quick ! Does not turn like my GT which I fig it wouldn't ( finding that I get slack at turn ) but ski makes up for it in speed and stability. Any rec out there on adjustments to be made to get it turn a little better ...

67". 32.3 mph I was skiing this am at the training loop between 15 and 22 off.

Thanks

Hi All - I'm new here and this is my first pass.

I realise this thread is a bit old now but it is the most relevant. I need some assistance please (@Horton, @brooks, @eddie_roberts_jr, Bueller, anyone??) ...

I am in love!! ...in love with the 2017 Senate Lithium.

My skiing -

I just got back into skiing after 20+ years. My previous best in tournament was 4@55km/h. Once had pass at 58km/h in practice. But that was then... when my Connelly Concept was top of the pops and I was giving a dozen roses to Helena Kjellander at Moomba in wide eyed adoration!!

I am now of an age that 55km/h is my max (and I am only six years off the magic [age = max speed] formula). Reality is I am finding my feet again around 52km/h in course (but feel better free skiing at 55km/h). I just have not had a lot of time in course (only 3 or 4 sessions a season - this will increase dramatically as will my timing and fitness/strength, I hope).

I have borrowed a 67" 2017 LITHIUM a few times last season, and just had a recent go this season. This is the right ski for me!! I was able to compare to a recent ski on HO Syndicate and it was chalk and cheese. I know the skier is most important but the confidence level was doubled and I reckon the difference is at least whole pass, probably more. I could have won a freestyle comp with the air I got on the HO but the Senate cut the wake like butter (again probably my lack of skill but the confidence on Senate enabled a decent edge and as much as I really, really tried on the HO I got bucked around like a wild horse and had my first decent stack for 20+ years).

The issue -

I want to buy a 2017 LITHIUM but I am struggling to justify the $ at the moment. It is more important to intro the kids to skiing than it is to take care of my hidden ambitions.(read: join club, new vests, new gloves, ski biscuit, skis behind club boat =$$$$),

So the question is will I be devastated if I cheat on my true love, the LITHIUM, and take up a huge bargain on a Senate ALLOY?

The huge bargain is on a 2nd hand 2017 ALLOY and still a few new 2017 ALLOYs - the difference is about $600 - $1000 (that is ~USD $460-760) as I can't find any 2nd hand LITHIUMs.

As I said I'm still finding my feet so my timing in the course is still rubbish, but my rhythm and confidence to attack the wake on the LITHIUM is incredible. Is that mostly the shape? can I expect to feel that on the ALLOY too, or will the softer (?), heavier ski be sluggish? I'm happy for more forgiveness.

I realise the LITHIUM is faster and lighter, but will I feel jilted. I have a lot of technique to work on before I need to consider equipment tweaks so part of me says just get the ALLOY and get skiing, but I don't want to be disappointed and miss the feeling the LITHIUM gives me.

The bargain ALLOY would enable (require) me to get some decent bindings (again a bargain on offer for some a new LFF Radar Profile boot and RTP). The rough plan is: after a few more seasons of serious practice on the ALLOY, I might jump on a Vapour or the then latest Lithium - (what colour are your 2019 going to be - might get myself a 50th ;)).

Thanks in advance for any relationship advice you can offer....

Cheers

Dug (in Oz)

• Baller

I am no expert but I would say get the Alloy, it’s still 100% Carbon.

Last year I demoed a Lyric (same as Alloy) because the school didn’t have any Senates left. I am a 55k 22 off skier (34mph) I went off the dock right up the line to 5 @ 22/55K and it felt good. Just my 2 cents.

• Baller

Hey Dug!

I think the number one thing you fell in love with is the shape! The Senate shape is truly what makes it special and it’s the same shape no matter the construction. While the Lithium is surely faster and more responsive I think you would be making a significant upgrade and it will keep you improving at a rapid rate! Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks

Just an update to my advice crew:

I bought the last(?) 67" 2017 Senate Graphite (new) from a store in Oz (was happy to be able to buy local - Radar pricing is exxy in Oz). Got for ~USD 1550.

It comes with Vector boot and RTP, but I have a cunning plan to sell them and buy a new, but 2014, Profile Boot (and RTP) that is the perfect fit (even if a bit bright orange).

I will be so happy to get my own ski (even if heading into winter) as I had ski on a mate's Goode this morning and somehow ripped the whole front boot off when taking the ski off afterwards (Velcro-ed on) which will cause him a hassle to put back on well. Oops. :o

Happy Days :p !! Thanks for all the input.