San Diego is getting a jump

eleeski

• Baller

Incredible effort on the part of the San Diego skiing community and especially SDSU to raise the money and put the effort to get a new jump in Mission Bay. Extraordinary efforts by Dee Johnson and Curtis Williams.

I might be a bit premature with this post as the new jump is not in the water yet. Road issues and other logistics might still be a problem - everything that can go wrong has. But I saw the new ramp tonight and it's ready. The old rotten ramp is gone (interesting story for later?). San Diego jumping again soon!

Eric

• Baller

Quite a bit of history there. Two Pro Tour tournaments (1990 & 1991). Kris LaPoint had

a win in 1991. "Fun" dealing with 7 ft. of tides. Back When, I believe that Carl Roberge

trained there. Late in 1973, Western Wood made a ski movie there.

• Baller

hsjfxibye9rb.jpg

This is the old jump getting taken out. No pictures of the demo because the city cleaned it up before we could salvage the floats. The one time the city works fast! I'll try to get a picture of the new one today - if it makes it through the road construction to the launch (city not on time here).

Eric

• Baller

hfj6zgmayktr.jpg

The new jump is floating! Of course the rains from the last few days have polluted the water so no skiing for a few days. Time to add the side curtains. Incredible effort and support from the community.

Eric

• Baller

Right on @eleeski! Many thanks and a huge shout-out to Ashleigh Wallace, as well. It was her vision to have 3-Event water skiing back in Mission Bay.

@Edbrazil thanks for the history. I've heard there's been skiing there going back to the 60s.

There are still spots available for the Class C tournament June 17th and 18th -- the first 3 Event tournament there in many years.

I'll share some photos in the next day or so. We just mounted the side curtains and got the jump positioned this evening.

• Baller

@tomme12 The curtains have pvc pipe with caps as floats. I don't know if they are foam filled as well. Not sure of the diameter, 8 inch? Maybe 6?

I only helped a little with this project. Dee, Ashleigh and the SDSU team did most of the work. I'm sure I left out crediting some critical helpers - but I wasn't there enough. It is a jump...

Eric