Boat Scuffed on Trailer, Repair?

DefectiveDave

• Baller

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway because I've been told there are no stupid questions. There are only stupid people who ask questions.

Getting the boat out a few days ago (2000 Ski Nautique), it managed to come to rest on the wheel well of the trailer because we have a difficult launch site. We of course put the boat back in the water and fixed it after realizing what was up.

There doesn't appear to be any real damage to the fiber glass other than some minor scratches. It also scuffed up the clearcloat (unfortunately I don't have any pictures). Now I want to take the boat out in the next few days and won't be able to fix the clear coat in that time. But I worry that it might cause problems for the fiberglass if I don't fix the clear coat first. So, a couple of quick questions:

Are there any complications if I don't fix the clear coat first?

Also, any recommendations on how to fix the clear coat?

Thanks ballers!

• Baller

As long as your bilge pump can keep up with the water leaking in, go ski.

Clear coat on a 2000 Nautique? My old Nautique didn't have clear coat - or any of my boats. Still, a fancy repaint with clear coat should be waterproof under the clear coat.

If you mean gelcoat, there's no problem missing that. It's purely cosmetic. The fiberglass layup is waterproof. Many boats that get beached a lot live for years in saltwater fine with the bow scraped way into the glass.

Ski and clean the scratch well before you fix it. Marine tek is an easy patch for gouges that I've used. Any white epoxy should work. Or just ski - it's an old boat.

Eric

• Baller

Thanks guys!

I'm sending @John Brooks a PM as he is local and can take a look at it when it's convenient for him. For now I will feel comfortable skiing this week. :-)

@eleeski,

I'll look into the marine tek after John gets a chance to look at the damage. If there is material missing it's probably very minimal (other than the shallow scratches), so hopefully I can avoid it. Also, I think you are right, it is gelcoat, not clearcoat. Do you have any brand recommendations for gelcoat? Thanks!

• Baller
@DefectiveDave Correct Craft is very generous with gel-coat thickness, especially back when they were doing the full sand and then polish method of building. Unless the scratches are really deep you should be able to wet sand the area and re-polish without adding any new gelcoat.

• Baller
@DefectiveDave, did the same thing to our 95 nautique about 15 years ago. Minor scratches to the gel coat right at the spray relief pocket. Never have done anything to it and have never had any issues. Ours was on the bottom side of the hull though. I can look at it sometime and compare with ours if you would like.