Eye ball injury

• Baller

You backside 1 ball get hooked up start into the 1st wake and bam something goes horribly wrong -slam straight onto my face (into the water fortunately not into the ski). I rise from a tumbling motion to feel the slap in my face, my bell is wrung and my eye and lip hurt bad. All extremities are moving and the ski is still on as usual.

About 20 minutes later I look in the mirror and see the broken blood vessels in my left eye. The 2nd pic is today even worse. Thankfully my vision is fine, my head is not as I relive that slam into the water and am a bit sketched due to never having fallen like this. Wife and fellow skiers insist I go get it checked out......MD at prompt care said the eye will be red with the broken blood vessels for a couple of weeks.

This was the 1st set on my new Carbitex boots. I had been putting off breaking in the boots because I knew they would be stiff initially and I only have so much time to ski each week. I mounted them up for my 2nd set yesterday and went out just to test em but was surprised at how well they performed and began to go for complete passes. I could tell they both were stiff and yet reacted well so I started really over turning a bit to get them to react into the ski the way I am used to with my Vapor boots. On the crash pass I know I was tired and the boots did not allow me to get the ski on edge and must have plowed into the wakes. Lesson learned I think........taking tomorrow off (I can still go climbing) and hoping to ski Weds.

Conventional wisdom says keep breaking in the new boots, but I have a one year old pair of vapors perfectly broke in on a sequence plate that I am opting to go back to for a bit to get rid of the 'thought virus' from the crash then put the Carbitex back on later.

jenw10nmy8wb.jpg

epuve0yttmrz.jpg

• Baller
I had a similar result in my right eye many years back screwing around on my daughters wakeboard. Took the full hit in my right eye socket. I lost vision in that eye for about 5 minutes. As a pilot it scared the crap out of me!!! Needless to say, I have not wake boarded since! Saw that in one of my fighter pilot buddies also. Both eyes from Negative G.

• Baller

@SkiJay you or any others use these glasses? My fear is that you could introduce a new and worse injury by breaking plastic being forced into my eye socket. I went down so hard it could have shattered these?

I will check the site maybe they are made for hard impacts?

• Baller

@SkiJay From the site

FEATURES:

•Our polarized film cuts 99% of glare off surfaces like water and snow pretty much all flat surfaces.

•Hard coatings for durability and helps reduce scratching.

•Hydrophobic hard coating repels water droplets and protects the multi-layered lens coatings.

•100% protection from UVA, UVB, UVC + harmful, high-energy light to 400nm.

•PC lenses meet ANSI Z87.1 High Velocity & High Mass Impact Standards

•Meets International Standards (US, Europe & Australia)

Optical laser tested - luminous transmittance

****THIS-

Drop ball tested safety lenses - high impact

Safety

Polycarbonate Defense: Bomber's OSHA approved safety lenses offer the extreme impact resistance of polycarbonate, an element of bullet-proof glass.

They all meet ANSI Z87+ standards so that you can rely upon the superior shielding performance of our tough, durable safety eyewear.

View the entire selection of Bomber safety eyewear.

Ultraviolet Shielding: Radiation from the sun has been shown to accelerate the aging of our skin. It can be refelected off water and ice, which increases exposure. Long term exposure to increased levels of UVA and UVB may damage the eyes.

All Bomber eyewear prevent 100% of harmful UVA and UVB rays from reaching your eyes, exceeding ANSI 280.3 UV requirements and setting new standards for protection

SAFETY pc polarized lens

I wonder if using some Rain X type spray would keep the water from beading or obstructing view?

@Horton do you wear these or similar glasses still skiing?

• Baller

@cragginshred You've done more homework than I did when I decided to use these about six years ago. I was happy to know they were certified impact resistant safety glasses. I think they're certified as shooting glasses too, so I don't think "shattering" is an issue. The fact that they float was icing on the cake.

I have corrective lenses implanted inside my eyeballs, and eye impacts are a real bad idea. So I've skied in these glasses every set for the past six years. I've had all manner of face plants, and have found my glasses floating up to 50 feet away from me after hard falls. But I've never seen any sign of cracking or shattering.