Nate Smith's 3 @ 43 is not apporved

Horton

• Administrators

The boat path was not quite good enough for a World Record. @Chad_Scott told me that is was way darker in person than it looked on the webcast and he literally could not see the boat guides balls.

Chad is still the most respected slalom driver on the planet and Nate will likely run 3 again soon enough.

Well since @Horton is always the first with breaking news. I suppose I should comment. First and foremost I am totally disappointed for letting Nate down. This was a very long event with some great skiing by many. The tournament started at 8 am and nates pass concluded about 820 pm. Nate was my 58th skier of the day. It was pretty dark and it is difficult to stay focused for 8.5 hrs driving shortline skiing. I have apologized to Nate for not doing a good job and I am looking forward to another chance with him at Lake 38.

• Baller

I'm not let down by Nate nor Chad. 3@43 is freaking awesome even if the driving was out of tolerance, so it's still something to be proud of in my book. We all know Nate will get 3 ball this summer.

My question is why wasn't there another driver to fill in for Chad? My God, 8.5 hours of driving is a bit much to ask for somebody.

• Baller
There is no doubt in my mind that given a choice at the next record tournament, Nate would still choose Chad. Ultra shortline driving is difficult with the best of conditions and requires serious concentration from the driver. Chad is certainly on the short list of the best drivers in the world today, but mix in a very long session and dark conditions and it's going to be tough. I expect the two of them will mix it up again soon.

• Baller
I think the rules state that the world record verification process involves checking the boat path on all passes, not just the final pass (in this case at 9.75). Can someone confirm this for me? I told someone this last night but now I'm second guessing myself...

• Baller

Unfortunate but it happens. Chad was the very first person to call me and to apologize with his driving and how disgusted he felt about the whole thing.

As I'm sure any other Open skier would agree, this does not change any thought or trust I have with Chad's driving. The last 7 world records have been pulled by him as well as approved. It was a long day, it was dark, and he had pulled a ton of skiers. It happens. On to the next tournament!