Rev issue.

Wish

• Baller_

So periodically when dropping a skier...skier starts cutting out, throttle brought to neutral...there's this rev like the throttle did not return, yet boat is in nutral. Lasts for only a second or two but it's audible. Is that the return spring on the throttle getting old? 1997 SN GT40.

Also, is this the correct impeller? fvsgym6ej9rx.png

• Baller_
It is an early version of PP. It does require the occasional loosening of the servo knob to adjust for revs but that only occurs at start ups. Turn boat on, RPMs maybe at 900, turn knob to loosen cable and it goes right back to normal RMPs. I believe PP upgrade back then solved this. But this is when skier is being dropped. Thinkn not the same....maybe

• Baller
I'm poor and don't have deep pockets so I know what PP is. Sure seems like it's PP doing its thing. My '93 with single line PP does it and so does my old partners '01 GT40 with single line PP. Maybe try skiing one day with handle throttle and see if it still does it?

• Baller
@Wish If PP affects idle at any point your throttle lever and/or PP cable is incorrectly adjusted. Refer to manuals, when you return throttle to neutral/idle there is no way a properly set up PP servo can have input on rpms.

• Baller

My GT-40 would do that until I added the second return spring for PP.

It was because my throttle wouldn't close all the way every time, but would get to neutral. It would sit around 1000 RPM. Once I added the second return spring the throttle would return to idle every time.

• Baller_
@Wish : PP is sensitive to throttle return spring stiffness, the tendency is to want more spring stiffness to return the throttle to idle. Try a new or stiffer spring as noted by Brennan.

• Baller

@Mark_Matis Yes I agree, my point was if PP cable, brass lever and throttle cable was properly installed and adjusted PP has nothing to do with this as it is completely taken out of the picture in neutral as the throttle cable pushes throttle lever all the way to idle. Most likely another problem, vacuum leak, faulty idle valve, or my favorite- broken diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator causing random squirts of fuel entering the intake manifold, typically occurs when you bring the throttle towards idle and the intake manifold pressure drops.

Very easy check, just pull the vacuum hose from the regulator with engine running, the fitting must be completely dry.