Ability based competition, here is your chance!!

scoke

• Baller

Ok for all of you guys that want ability based competition, I surely hope you are going. This is your chance to prove how great this idea works. This could be the next best thing considering this is the direction AWSA is going in 2018 by the leadership specifically Jeff Surdej.

http://www.intleague.com/the-tri-state-int-tour-is-back/

Look forward to hearing the results of all the ballers who are clamoring for ability based competition, stating that they can't win as the competition is too far out of reach.

• Baller_

Slalom Divisions

Men’s Novice – 14 & over – never made a full pass

Women’s Novice – 14 & over

Junior Novice – 13 & under

Junior 4th Class – 13 & under max speed 28 mph

4th Class – max speed 28 mph 15 off line length

3rd Class – max speed 30 mph 15 off line length

2nd Class – max speed 32 mph 15 off line length

1st Class – max speed 34 mph 15 off line length

Advanced – men 35 & over and all women, max 22 off @ 34 mph

Advanced Open – men 35 & over and all women 28 & 32 off @34 mph

Advanced Super Open – men 35 & over and all women, 35 off & shorter @ 34 mph

Junior Expert – 13 & under, working on 22 off @ max 34 mph

(Must meet qualifications (see rulebook for more details)

Expert – men 14-34, max 22 off @ 36 mph

Open – men 14-34, 28 off & up @ 36 mph

Super Open – men 14-34, 35 off & shorter @ 36 mph

Wide Ski Ride Fun – max 28 off @ 30 mph

Wide Ski Ride Super Fun – 32 off & up @30 mph

Wide Ski Ride Open – 38 off & up @30 mph

Men’s Pro Division – Special Pricing

Women’s Pro Division – Special Pricing

Ill take pro Women's - Special Pricing behind door #3 please!

• Baller

http://www.intleague.com

Over 20 states, 100's of events. From the INT site:

Rick Stocks, founder of the INT League, first started hosting amateur events on Greenlake in Seattle, Washington, in the early 1980′s with the Lake Sammamish Water Ski Club. As President of the Club, he found that even though the club hosted AWSA sanctioned “C” events, most of the members did not compete in the events themselves. This was due to the fact that the caliber of competition was intimidating. No one wants to always lose. Rick’s idea was to make the competition fun and based on ability levels so that all members and their families could compete and where new people could be introduced to the sport of waterskiing. Greenlake, in the middle of Seattle, was the perfect place. The Lake Sammamish Water Ski Club is still hosting events on Greenlake with the INT League and with a limit of 150 competitors, the word is out – “preregister or you won’t get in.”

Stocks Family has been doing this since 1993, 24 years experience and refinement of ability based. I was involved with one of the first INT tournaments, we rented Koppert Lake with direct involvement with Rick and Larry Fischer. We did a few after that as well so I am very familiar with INT and ability based. If you want ability based you owe it to yourself to go to a couple. With 24 years experience they have it down!

• Baller

I had fun skiing INT when I first got in to skiing tournaments. My only issue was if I skied say Advanced Open at the time you only got one round. I started skiing wide ride which was fun enough just to get on the water a second time.

The ability based aspect of it was kind of fun. There was a 15 year old girl that was in the same division and we skied about the same scores and were competitive with each other over the season.

I do like the multi round aspect of AWSA events though even though I am not really competitive in my age division. Mid 35 off is middle of the pack in most tournaments I ski in. I don't really care about placement though I am generally focused on putting up my best score and beating my ski partner.

• Baller

dont know, dont care.

I'm flying in friday morning to get a practice ride. my plan is to ski advanced open. post up some 5.5@12ms and i should win all the marbles of that division.

• Baller

This set up reminds me of "club" snow ski racing. Essentially, it's the predominantly quasi-serious, quasi-"advanced" adult skier that wants to wear a bib and "race", but is uncomfortable racing in a Masters race against adult racers that train regularly, have the right equipment, and take it pretty seriously. Additionally, the kids of these quasi-serious/advanced adult skiers are not in actual race programs either and just want to run a course with mom and/or dad and really aren't very into the sport. There are so many categories and divisions at these club races that you usually end up being "compared" to one or two other skiers in your group that are probably not very good. Woohoo! I won!

If that sort of set up draws enough competitors and is viable for a certain demographic of skier/"competitor", that is fine. Go ahead and do it. Personally, I'd rather find out that I'm near the bottom, or mid-pack, or top ten against a bigger, legit group of competitors that is representative of the skiers in my area/my state/my region/my country that take the sport seriously and are trying to be as good as they can be.

There is nothing wrong with lower-level, fun competition and maybe one or two sandbaggers will be there (usually for sure there will be a couple) that are actually pretty decent. But, it's not the real deal.

• Baller

@OB1 There are exceptions. Come back to a Lake 38 tournament. If I was having any more fun, I might have missed my starting times (some of them I should have). Ski Chaste here in Mobile is also great fun at tournaments.

What was cool at Lake 38, skiers of all ability, and throughout much of the day Nate or Regina in the boat as rope handlers. How cool that had to be for all the kids! Hey Nate, give me 15 Off at 28 mph. Not to mention fantastic, and fun boat drivers like Chad Scott, Keith Albritton, Chad Hunter and Matt Rini.

I guess it's all about balance, and we all have a little different equation.

Get your butt down to Mobile sometime, and bring your family! Ski a tourny at JR's one day, and hang out at my lake a couple other days.