How does this happen?

Horton

• Administrators

So teenage boy drives many teenage girls for a tube ride was the correct answer. Boat belongs to one of the teen girls. I took a long look at it and called teen girls father and said "Good Luck".

Solution will be

1) remove engine box from SN 200

2) unbolt shaft from trans without taking all skin off knuckles

3) slide shaft down 1/2 inch

4) scrape melted rope off shaft

5) reassemble

6) hope water flows through strut

7) flog teen boy who did this

• Administrators
@oldjeep IDK I called the two guys I know who work on ski boats for a living and neither of them suggested that. Your suggestion makes sense to me but I am NOT a mechanic.

• Baller

No way am I unbolting the strut from the bottom of the boat for this. Way easier to just uncouple the shaft and slide it back a little, if needed. Try needle nose pliers and a lil patience first, then uncouple if needed. Unbolting the strut not that big a deal if necessary, just doubt you will need to.

Might as well check your coupling alignment as you bolt it back together. IMHO.

• Administrators
I did get in there with needle nose pliers. There is a lot of rope that that seems up between the shaft and the strut. Even if I got all we could see out of there, we were worried that there would still be enough rope left to prevent the bushing from getting lubricated.

• Baller

+1 on @block 's needle nose pliers. Work at it a bit, it gets easier once you've gotten some out. Get all you can see and the hidden scraps are likely to flush out. The strut is designed to operate in normally dirty and algae filled water and every bushing I've seen has water channels molded in. Crud will clear out.

If you totally screw it up, the bushing will fail prematurely - in a few years. Then you will have to perform the invasive repairs that others are advising. Plus a relatively inexpensive bushing.

How often do shafts fail? I've had to replace several only because I cut them to get complete removal - usually to fix the leaking shaft packing. Everything is repairable to new and this is unlikely to catastrophically blow up hurting people and destroying the boat. I did have one break while skiing - it sheared off at the prop (old and out of balance prop - and nowhere near the old worn out strut). No damage except we never found the prop and had to buy a new one along with the shaft (and new dripless packing upgrade).

On second thought, the boat is shot. Replace it and send me the old one for proper disposal. ( @MISkier This is a 200, I can dispose of it properly.)

Eric

• Baller
I asked my 10 year old to pull my brand new Masterline rope in after a set last week. First time using this rope. Well he pulled it in, but he rather than leave it lying on the floorboard behind the motorbox, he just pulled it in and left it in the water on the starboard side of the boat. "Get the rope in buddy?" I ask. "Yup". 10 seconds later, my prop and shaft looked just like that one.

• Baller
@Horton I'm sure its fine. I just tend to take things apart all the way so that I can inspect everything and do the job once. Plus I'm used to the Malibu bushings which are plastic and can melt from a rope - if the nautique has a brass then there is a lot smaller chance of it being damaged.

• Baller_

Yea I would stay away from loosening strut and re seal?? Funny stuff.

4 bolts on the coupler, slide the shaft back, pull out plastic fibers with needle nose squeezing tool. might squirt a little wD-40 on the mess before reassembling the four bolts on the coupler.

Move along!!