Accusport Dynafoil - Blast from the Past / Still in use?

ToddL

• Baller

One of the local lake owners decided to take a slalom set last night. I knew he had this fin, but finally remembered to stop and take a few pictures.

kik4tawtyzpz.jpg

f48mmsx9v93y.jpg

n8gzlw5hdt8z.jpg

It was patented back in the early 80's and appears to have been a hot item in the mid 80's.

Here's an add from the 1982 World Water Skiing Magazine June edition.0gs1gm6qc8br.jpg

($50!)

-----

My question is this - is this allowed in tournaments given the current rules?

Rule 8.03-C-2:

Devices affixed to the skis intended to control or adjust the skiing

characteristics of the ski, for example, wings on a fin, are allowed as long as they

are fixed and do not move or change during actual skiing.

So, is it subject to interpretation?

1) if the device is fixed/set during the pass, but able to be adjusted between passes while down in the water, is that allowed? if not, then...

2) if the device is able to move, but the contestant doesn't adjust it, is it still allowed for use? Or if the device has the ability to be adjusted is that sufficient for disallowing it?

• Baller
@ToddL thst is allowed under the current rules. The "during actual skiing" part means actually under power on top of the water and in the course. There used to be anther setup about the same time where the wing was attached the heel of the rear boot and would adjust steeper when the rear heel was lifted and flatten out when pressure was applied to the heel. That type of device (that adjusts during actual skiiinf) is not allowed.

• Baller
Thanks, @klindy for the rules interpretation. All, I am not certain that the skier is terribly worried about drag, but I agree and had the same thought when I looked at it. Still, it is a neat blast-from-the-past moment to see something like this on the dock.