Reflex release padding / cover

ScarletArrow

• Baller
My daughter uses a Reflex for trick skiing. Her shin gets cut from the Reflex release mechanism. I thought for sure I've seen someone have a padded cover from Reflex for this very purpose, but I can't seem to find it online. Any thoughts or ideas here?

• Baller

I have seen people cut a hole in a tennis ball and put it over the release. Or a coozie taped on/ rubberband. Pool noodle works too.

Are you sure it is from the release? She could be kicking her shin with the heal block on the boot when releasing.

• Baller

It definitely comes from the release mechanism and occurs when she is standing on the ski. She doesn't fall much and when she does they are usually not hard enough to require release.

Edit... Looks like it was called an "Eva Release Cover" . Here's a pic.

evjpxkes741w.jpg

Edit x2... Started calling Reflex dealers and Miami Ski Nautiques had some in stock. Put in order #fingerscrossed.

• Baller

@ScarletArrow Despite the frequent insistence from many here that it's the heel block inflicting the pain, I believe you. I am a smaller person who has scars from numerous contacts with the release mechanism when no release occurred. I have never kicked myself with the heel block on a release, either.

I had one of those release covers, lost it, and don't miss it. It was minimally effective. Either a do-it-yourself cover with more padding or shin guard with some hard plastic to distribute the impact would be better.

• Baller

When you say "heel block" do you mean the plastic block on the back of the front shell that the release mechanism locks onto (see pic)?

If she were releasing from frequent falls (either slalom or trick), then it would seem logical, but she hardly falls and releases even less.

This past week, while vacationing at a lake, she took a very long open water trick set with maybe one release. When she got back into the boat she complained of the "cut" on her shin from the binding and showed me on the platform. I guess one is all it takes??

Totally agree with the shin guard solution - I've seen others wear that too.

Where's @eleeski !? There's a legit trick ski conversation going on and no input from him?

;)

t7wmhbsfhhsi.jpg

• Baller
I bought a release cover at the 2014 nationals and got it to protect myself from releases also, however I have found that most of the time it is the heel of the front boot that hits me, not the release mechanism. You'd probably be better off with a shin guard.

• Baller

Most trick falls that whack your shin are pre releases. Make sure you have a high enough setting so that releases are rare. It's not like slalom for injuries. The twisting slipping falls that tweak things won't release no matter what. The quick edge catch falls will release you immediately - or rip the binding out of the ski. Your legs should be strong enough to handle this.

Shin guards work OK but they were a pain to keep properly in place. Use them while you are learning that flip but eventually you can lose the shin guard.

There's no reason to not pad the Silveretta clip. If you can't buy a factory one, duct tape some padding to it. Everything helps.

I chewed up my shin learning the flip even without a Reflex binding. No heel block to hit. I hit the edge of my ski. My edges are blunter than most skis but still got me. Staying in is safer especially with the sharp edge skis that are popular.

I added more Gatorade lids to up the retention. No more injuries but I break a lot more boots. Expensive but worthy trade. I'm working on a new binding design...

Eric

@ScarletArrow Life's busy....

• Baller

@shoeskiman 100% silicone caulk using this method https://www.instructables.com/Worlds-easiest-silicone-mold/ Knead about a golfball size piece and hand form it around the release. Take care that you don't make it too thick that it impedes the release mechanism. Note how the parts move when it releases.

I would also recommend you don't store the release with the cover on so it can dry out.