2018 Vapor

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Definitely easy looking and smooth....anyone else think there is a bit of tip rise at the end of both turns?? From all the videos i have seen of the ski, it seems to be a common trait...i even compared some old footage of @horton on the 2014 vapor (i couldn't find any on the '16)....no tip rise at all....

• Administrators

@gavski what you are seeing is the ski gets a lot of angle fast. The tip rise is my error and or the way I ride the ski. If you compare it to a ski that gets less angle the tip would likely be less. If I were more skilled or had more time on the 18 Vapor I would assume the tip would come up less.

My point is the tip rise is not a flaw in the ski. It is a flaw in the skier.

@gavski One thing I have noticed is even when I get some tip rise which is my fault not the ski, the ski seems to auto-correct very quickly and take off vs. stall and require input to get it down and moving. I saw the same in @Horton video.

@swerveit @skierjp has a very valid point but you will also find that a lot of top level skiers will not switch skis mid/late season. Can guarantee the majority (99%) of the top level skiers will be riding the 18 and sitting higher on those podiums. On Sunday ran the cleanest, earliest and easiest 35 off of my life! was laughing as I came through the gates!

• Baller
I had my first nationals slalom medal since M2 & highest score & medal at nationals to date on the '18, I got on it just before regionals. Nothing is a given or bullet proof, but this new ski is an advantage for sure! #inlovewithskiingagain

I have a few rides on mine now and settling in. I played around a bit with binding placement but settled on exactly where I started. Amazing to jump on a new ski that is totally different than my last and be right where I left off and start moving forward. I haven't gotten where I am good enough to scrap out a higher score yet, but I am running my normal passes so much nicer and easier. I tend to screw up because I get so excited how well the pass is going!

• Baller
@Bdecker brought mine back from Nationals. @brooks had set it up. Skied up to my average off the dock first set. 3rd set ran 32off/13m on home water for the first time this year. I was laughing going from 5 to 6 I was so early. So smooth and fast and keeps getting angle. It is the real deal, I may have to give @Bdecker a cheque. Though he was being optimistic thinking he would get money from a Scotsman.

• Baller
I've been on my 2018 for a few weeks now and have a handful of sets on it. I came off a 17 Pro build, ski 36mph -22 thru -35. This ski is the real deal! I love the support it has in the turn and how it makes everything feel smooth. The 17 turned great but I think the 18 turns even easier and grabs angle smoother. I can feel the front of the ski just curling in towards the center in the turn. I have been experimenting with early transitions at 32, 35 and the ski loves it, carries out more than I thought it would. The ski is at the next level for balanced. I feel I can ski the way I want and know the ski will support me and create angle easily. My 35 attempts have been more consistent and easier, especially coming out of my offside. Its been a fun ski to ride!

• Baller

I'm on the 68 and I struggled with the shallow long settings.

I've taken 2 sets on the deep settings and I am really liking this ski.

Definitely better than the 17 which I felt was too snappy out of the turn for me. The 18 seems to turn just as good but it feels softer coming out of the buoy.