Beer Mile

skiermanbrad

• Baller

If you're not aware of the Beer Mile, check out the many videos on YouTube. The concept is: Chug a beer, run a lap, x4. Try to get the lowest ET.

I'm thInking BEER SLALOM. Chug a beer, ski a pass; chug a beer, ski a pass; etc. until you fail. Try to get the highest buoy count with a beer between each pass.

This is genius, right?

Designated driver, of course (for the boat, and to drive skiers home).

• Baller

Maybe a cross bar or some other head-exclusion device required for participation. This is why I ran this idea by you guys.

I'm thinking the alcohol wouldn't take effect until the skier's most difficult pass, which ought to be quite entertaining for the spectators.

• Baller

I love an adult beverage just like most everyone else at our lakes, but the tournament rules and scene has pretty much spread into a general lake guideline: keep 'em in the coolers until the skiin' is done. In fact this unwritten private lake culture is so pervasive that I am often caught off guard when public lake goers arrive with coolers full expecting to drink in between rides.

Your idea sounds like fun but may not be met with the expected enthusiasm because of the above culture. As always, we want every skier to have fun and stay safe.

• Baller

Obviously, this is a funny idea and not a serious one.

So, without consequences for your actions; would you try to start near your most difficult pass to limit the effect of the beer, or would you choose a longer line length and get more alcohol effect?

• Baller

I have won a few Beer Miles with a PB of 7 min 45 sec. I can tell you that you are feeling the effects slightly at the end of the mile and within about 15 minutes you are way drunker than one might expect for 4 beers. You also spend the entire mile and at least a few minutes after trying to keep everything down, this is the hardest part.

The last Beer Mile I ran a friend who is super fit and can put down some beverages came to me within a minute or so of finishing and said "I feel pretty good, minus the fluid sloshing in my gut". About fifteen minutes later he came back and said "I'm hammered".

I would happily run another beer mile, I will not drink and ski, not even one.