Tips Please! (Video)

brettmag

Please provide some tips so I can get all six at 34 MPH. This is me getting 5/6 at 34 MPH 15 off. It's not super pretty and I can already spot that I need to be more stacked, but please provide constructive criticism. Thanks!

• Baller

Great job scrapping your way to the 5 ball and dodging the plane on the pullout. Through and through I would say you are a little back foot heavy, @Horton won't like me but I think it is from a bit of a stiff front leg. I would try to flex your front ankle/push your front knee forward over your front toes.

Beyond that, there is only so much coaching that can be done at your hardest pass because once a mistake happens even things you do well can fall apart, video of an early pass that you think is symbolic of you at your best wouldn't hurt since it would give us an idea of what is going right and wrong consistently vs what is going right and wrong when your in full blown game mode.

• Baller

I like that you wait for the boat and are patient at the conclusion of the turns! Keep that!

Look at your gate glide stance. You are tall. Add the front ankle bend to that and you should be tall and more forward. You want to focus on moving your hips forward. That's the part that puts your center of mass over your front foot and really improves your weight distribution. Think that your goal is to make your ski ride more horizontally flat on top of the water (vs. tail deep down in).

You want to be in this position before the pull out, during it, and during the glide. So, focus first on getting it right while riding before the pull out.

Then, when it is time to go, just drive the hips towards 11-o'clock. Don't lean back to start the pull out; that will undo your COM forward stance. Point hips and edge out. This will result in being more forward during your glide, too!

Once you can start forward and keep it all the way to the glide, then you can focus on the gate turn in. Here, the key is to start the lean tall. Point the hips to 1-o'clock and use the edge. Keep those legs strong and push to maintain this as the boat's force starts to build. Once you have this, the passes will start to feel like less work.

That's probably enough for now, but the key is front ankle and still tall.

• Baller

First, nice skiing. I bet you are already in the 20% of skiers who slalom.

@toddl has given you the fundamental body position to work on... drive hips towards 11:00 (or up towards the handle; can you make them touch?).

Now let's add ski path. At 15-off you want to work towards skiing out pass the bouy line and then turn back towards the ball (where the new cutting edge of the ski almost clips down course side of the ball). Can you get 5 feet outside the bouy line? Then how about 10 feet? Or a crazy 15 feet?

Two points here. One, don't ski to the ball... ski to go out and around. Two, this new path will be easier to ski (than ski to the ball and turn).

However, without mastering @toddl's fundamental you can't achieve this ski path. (Well, at least not in control.) Or, the goal of skiing wider will make you focus more on your position behind the boat.

Oh, and work on this ski path at slower speeds too. That is, generally, when skiers begin to run the course... those that are always working on wide and early progress quicker than those who just make it around the ball and then speed the boat up or shorten the rope.