Solar Eclipse

Edbrazil

• Baller

Next Monday, August 21st, might be a good time to be at Trophy Lakes, SC. Almost in the zone of 100% totality. A short

trip into Charleston will put you in totality.

Meanwhile, you can get ski rides and instruction.

Since the eclipse runs from Oregon to Charleston, there may be some other ski sites on the way. See:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-maps

• Baller
My usual open water ski lakes are right in the path. Redfish has dead center running through it. Alturas is right in the totality too. And Petit between those two. We will be camping up in the area and plan to ski if the lakes are not too crazy. Not actually during the eclipse, but over the weekend. The area is expected to be impacted by quite a few people. I am hoping it won't be quite as big as expected. Our infrastructure up in the mountains is not really built for what they are planning for. But I believe they are over-planning to be safe.

• Baller
@skinut , We have a spot on private land that we were invited to for this occasion. In Fisher Creek. We will be bringing both the boat, and the mountain bikes for the weekend. We normally camp at Redfish, sometimes at Alturas, mid-lake most often, though I would love to score a spot near the nice soft sand on the inlet side. I love boating off that beach with the nice deep drop off and soft sand. Though the far end of Redfish is probably my favorite spot to ski up there.

• Baller
@skinut , yeah, ridden it many times. Not this year yet. I have seen pics where the road up is pretty washed out from run off, but no worries for a mountain bike getting up. Big, huge ditch though. @eleeski , you will be coming up into the mountains from the other side probably. Not likely we would connect, but fun to have another baller in the vicinity. I will be doing some skiing down at Black Butte the day before, as it turns out, after hopefully skiing or riding on Saturday, then back up Sunday night for eclipse party and the big event the next day.

• Baller

@sunvalleylaw I'm probably headed the other way from you. I'm skiing at Broadside and headed to Ontario or Weiser for the eclipse. But I'll talk to Don and maybe we'll go to Black Butte for some fun skiing. If the traffic isn't too bad then Sun Valley might be awesome. Poach a ride at one of the ski lakes nearby would be fun.

But realistically, when the prediction is Portland to Salem will take 5 hours, I'll play it safe with my backroads backup plan. The eclipse is worth it.

Eric

• Baller

So I blinded myself yesterday trying out my welding hood. I have a fancy auto darkening one. I cranked up the setting to the recommended number and looked at the sun. Oops, the auto wasn't reliable about staying on while looking at the sun. This was full sun. It will certainly not activate with partial sun. Maybe an old solid arc welding lens might work - but it's been years since I've seen one of those. Gas welder lenses aren't close.

Use eclipse glasses or look at the projection from a pinhole viewer. Do enjoy the eclipse - safely.

Eric

• Baller

@eleeski welding hoods/glasses or hoods can work but be careful! Welding lenses range from a #3 shade to #14. Typically 3 different common shades - #5, #12 and #14 - are available at your generic auto parts store or tool retailer. Specialty welding shops can provide others.

A #12 is the minimum discussed (hate to say recommended) shade to use. HOWEVER, a welding lens by itself does NOT typically filter Infrared or UV wavelengths! These lenses are used along with other UV/IR filters to fully protect your eyes. For reference, a #14 lens is 10 times darker than a #12.

Auto-darkening hoods have a sensor that detect the arc and darken almost instantaneously. However looking into the sun doesn't help since the ambient light is all the same from the helmets perspective. Whereas a welding arc is an intense light clearly different from the ambient light around the helmet. In other words, these hoods don't work to look into the sun!

• Baller

@Than_Bogan That's your first post I've really disliked. Special and spectacular events have an impact. When the events are scientifically extraordinary (as opposed to so many pop hype or disaster occurrences) we need to embrace them.

Worries about traffic? When you visit Caltech, JPL or Elon Musk you'll see real LA traffic. Just go. Find an eclipse party or have an impromptu eclipse jump event. Revel in the fun things we are offered.

It unlikely to be life changing or spiritual. Just fun and interesting. At worst, you'll have some wild travel and weather stories.

Eric

• Baller

I have ended up trying to simplify and will not be bringing the boat for the weekend. I am getting our camp set up tonight, then mountain biking tomorrow. Won't have a boat driver til too late for a good ski, and selfishly don't want to spend my day giving people boat rides or pulling tubes, besides the potential traffic.

Also, I have ended up booking a lesson I have been trying to book for Sunday, away from camp (Black Butte). It is inconvenient timing, but if it doesn't happen Sunday, it won't happen for another month, if at all this year. So, going to go for it. Then back up to camp for Sunday night, and the big event on Monday! Probably another mountain bike ride on Monday, as long as we are there. We won't be driving anywhere very soon after the big show anyways. And we are staying in the mouth of Fisher Creek, so can go back in there and check some stuff out that I normally skip as part of the loop. May as well take the day at that point.

• Baller

@ski6jones I noticed that you're traveling from Houston to Nashville. 90 miles south of Nashville I have a sweet lake. It's just a few miles from I-65. If you're passing through you're welcome to a set here.

• Baller

@lkb that's a super nice offer but we're on a super tight schedule. Hitting the road early tomorrow to be back for work on Wed. My daughter lives in the West End and works in Franklin, so next time we come I'll definitely hit you up.

Also, the eclipse was totally worth the trip.