Greatest ball 6 ever

andjules

• Baller_

Even if he had made the gates, I believe the score is 5.5 once he leaves skiing position - even if it is eventually regained.

The definition of skiing position always perplexed me. It would seem you would violate it each time you jumped the wake and lost contact with the water.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

@MISkier if he had made the gates it would have been 6. You are incorrect about "once he leaves skiing position - even if it is eventually regained".

Rule 8.06 states "If the skier does not lose possession of the tow line, has at least one ski on at all times, and ultimately regains skiing position, there has been no fall."

@rico you're right, IWWF rules apply. Even so, the skier was "ultimately able to regain control", he never lost possession of the tow line, he's riding forward with a ski on his feet, and his weight is entirely supported but his ski. That said, no fall occurred and he score would be 5.5 because he didn't get back to the boat guide buoy line before the exit gate.

• Baller

My understanding is that the skiing position rule came about because of Brett Wing. From memory, he was slalom skiing in a top tournament and fell off around 5, tumble turned and completed the course. @Edbrazil may remember better. Brett actually completed the run but there was an argument from some that he was not in a skiing position. I saw video and it was amazing that he had time to tumble turn during a 35? off run without missing a buoy. By the look of the rule today, it seems the powers that be agreed!

Here is a video of him in action (unfortunately not the tumble turn in question but I think that is on the video you can still purchase Waterskiing with Brett Wing). That video blew me away when I first saw it. I had no idea those things could be done. And the instructional bits were brilliant. "To barefoot backwards, start on step off ski, turn around backwards, increase boat speed, step off". If only it was that easy for everybody else!