3rd year in a row, season ending injury!!

Jaypro

• Baller
Unbelievably, another season ending injury! After taking 25 years off of skiing I bought a 91 Prostar as my kids were getting into skiing. Boom, shoulder surgery season over. Last year, torn hamstring in July, season over. This was to be my first healthy season, taking my first passes at 22' off, pretty consistent at 15'off. Boom, blown MCL, waiting for the MRI for ACL determination. My ski buddies and I were planning a trip to Orlando in November to do a guys weekend at a ski school. Ughh, I have had it......

• Baller

That's a real bummer. There's no good time to get injured, but it seems to hurt worse when it happens right when you feel like you're peaking.

Not that anything can totally prevent injuries, but do you do any in-season or off-season conditioning or workouts? You'll get 101 different ideas on what to do, but doing anything consistent in my opinion is only going to help.

Rest up, attack that PT and get ready for spring!

• Baller_
I'm guessing that the hamstring was a heavy dose of throttle coming up out of the water with your back foot out of the binder, with an inexperienced driver behind the wheel, or a mistimed flying dock start, again with an inexperienced driver?

Lpskier

• Baller

Looks like these winter and summers seasons are very productive for injures.

What is this? Active sun? Coincidence?

Be careful colleagues, do not exceed your limits. I did that and got punishment. My better half also displaced shoulder ice skating

• Baller
@lpskier , you are correct! I was a RTP skier skiing behind a brand new Nautique with a very experienced driver. I was use to a more gradual pull out and with a full throttle pull, my hamstring popped. I am now a double booter

• Baller

@Jaypro

Enough with the "I've had it" :)

Skiing is an amazing sport. It's high risk, and the rewards, when achieved make you feel amazing. It's uniqueness makes the achievements even more personal.

We all get hurt. Seven years ago I broke my foot, after a bad OTF. After the cast was put on, I was so frustrated I literally got the dremel out and cut it off. (Brilliant, right?) I was on crutches, from July to November and in that time, seriously thought about quitting.

But........., the camaraderie of the guys in the boat, the beautiful morning's on a glass smooth lake, the sound of that small block V8, cutting through unbroken H2O.....well, it wasn't long until I got my head straight again.

And you will too. :)

• Baller

Feel for ya man...3 surgeries in 4 years here...one neck (2 level fusion) one back (laminectomy) and one spiral tib/fib fracture.

Skied last season but missed 2 of last 3.

Much more of this and I transition to auto racing!

• Baller
I feel you as well. I have pretty much been on the shelf the past three seasons as well. The last two with a back issue and this year recovering from a tumor. Unfortunately as my strength returns and I start skiing my back issue appears to still be there.

• Baller
@A_B , started lifting and did some core work today.....When the snow melts here in Vt next spring I will be ready. I thought about going to FL in april but I don't think it would be worth it with the lack of ski fitness. I did a lot of off season stuff last year, and it still seems to take a month to get going....

• Baller

I busted it SO hard last winter in the gym, read Fin Whispering, bought my second new ski in 2 years (I never do that) and really wanted to attack this season. Roasted my tib/fib after 3 weeks of cold water free skiing on first time in buoys for the season. Ran 8 openers at 28 off first set and that was to be it but it glassed out. Planned 4 passes second set and on last of the 4 with no problems, way ahead...got into a lean lock out of 4 ball and took a very strange fall.

Hope to be up on my ski soon...just installed the MOB release on my ski and need a pull. Going to have the same approach to next season...live for today my friends tomorrow is not given. Balls to the wall.