Helmets for Jump

ScarletArrow

• Baller_

Either the Shred or Phantom X. The issue with the shred is that it is one size and comes with pads for smaller heads. I think it would be difficult to get a good fit on kids, but you could give it a try and sell it if it doesn't work out.

I think the majority of jumpers use the Phantom X. Probably a S or XS for girls.

Bennett's jump helmets

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

@harddock no sense wearing it if it doesn't stay on your head in a crash.

Per the AWSA rules - 12.05B. Protective Head Gear: Use of protective head gear in the Jumping event is mandatory. Protective head gear is defined as an article of apparel whose manufacture and use is solely for the purpose of protecting the head from injury. It is recommended that such head gear be constructed of high-impact material, have a three-point chin strap suspension, be non-bucketing and be of good fit.

Per the IWWF rules - 7.09: Helmets - Skiers must wear a suitable helmet in the jump event.

Per the Canadian rules - 13.7.1 A safety helmet and a jump suit or pants with a flotation device, approved by the Safety Director, must be worn by all competitors in the jumping event. They are also recommended for the slalom and trick events. The safety helmet must include a chin strap which shall be approved by the Safety Director and fastened during competition.

Most of the high end jump helmets (parachute style) don't have a chin strap that's clearly visible under your chin. My helmet has a chin strap that's integrated into the helmet itself with a Velcro strap that tightens a cord that is in the edge of the fabric under your chin. It's not coming off too easily.

• Baller_
When I bought my Shred Reddy helmet from a well known elite jumper, he recommended discarding the chin strap and “Hand of God” retention strap along the rear of the helmet. The purpose is so that if the helmet does bucket (catch the water and grab upon impact), it will pull off your head instead of breaking your neck. I’d say (translation: I’m guessing) the majority of good jumpers that I know don’t use a chin strap unless it is a snap-style that has a hope of popping off when under load. On the other hand, most of the modern style helmets do not rely on the chin strap to stay on your head.

Lpskier

• Baller

I picked up a hockey helmet with a snap-on chin strap for a first-time plopper. Anyone see a problem with this until I can get him a better jump helmet? Also, it comes with a metal face cage, but we are going to remove it (unless someone thinks its really needed for a plopper).

https://www.purehockey.com/product/bauer-4500-hockey-helmet/itm/4699-2/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_ozMnI_c8gIVOmxvBB3VTQteEAQYASABEgI2UvD_BwE

• Baller
My son wore a hockey helmet from about age 8 till about 20 with a full cage. Painted the cage to match his skis. Only word of advice is to remove the strap that goes under the neck. Get a strap that fits to the chin. He was a OK jumper