First time in the course in 30 years......

JimR

Used to run deep in to 32 off skiing Mens1 competitively, but have not been in a slalom course in 30 years give or take. 52 years old now but still am able to do most of the stuff I used to do "back in the day". Have an invitation to run a slalom course with some guys this week, but am unsure on how to start. Not sure I am interested in long lining, so my thought is to free ski a few turns at 30/15 off, see how that feels and then run the course. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Of all the things I have revisited since my youthful exuberance such as backcountry snowskiing, occasional barefooting and kneeboarding sessions, skateboarding, etc., this is the one that gives me the most pause. There is no "mailing in" a trip through the course and I would prefer not to look like an idiot and be invited back again........Thanks in advance for any input. JimR

• Baller

Don't go to long line use 15 off. I did something similar but a few years younger. I got back in the course after about 20 years off when I was in my early 40s. I ran into 32 off in my late teens and early 20s. Very quickly I was up to 34 mph running into 28 off. I started out on an HO Charger which was a big wide ride ski at 30 mph.

Start by shadowing the balls either turning before them or splashing the buoys. I did ski some open water before jumping back in to the course.

• Baller

@JimR welcome to BallOfSpray and enjoy your time back in the course!

I would say the one thing would suggest is make sure you start wide when you turn in and don't worry about the gates. It will be more fun to round 6 buoys than beat your head against the gate and 1 ball the whole time. If you miss a buoy keep free skiing. Maximize your time on the water and make sure to have some fun!

If you don't want to look like a fool and want to be invited back follow these rules:

1) Be humble, appreciative, and happy. You aren't going to ski like you did 20/30 years ago, but I bet you can have just as much fun.

2) Help boat owner out. Prep, wipe down, and while one the water (driver shouldn't have to get off his/her seat unless he is getting in the water).

3) Bring gas or $ for gas.

Like others have said, -15' depending on the ski size and boat 30mph - 32mph and recommend open water skiing first. If you can't open water ski, just shadow buoys and make 6 turns. Once you feel like rounding balls, go for 1,2 and 5,6

Ok....not paying attention to the gates was a really good piece of advice. That did indeed help me get in front of the first ball giving me some room for error. Took me three tries to get all six at 30mph on a ski that I really believe was ill fitted for my weight and size. The thing I had a problem with was laying back too far on the ski like I was trying to pop a wheelie. I just could not make myself stay centered on the ski which made it much more work than it should have been. Reaching for the ball was not a problem and I was actually surprised at how smooth I was able to pull across the wake. At that speed, I did have to absorb a significant wake at 15 off, but nothing that was overwhelming. Had a very patient and knowledgeable host that made all the difference as well. That, along with great advice here, allowed me to revisit something I had forgotten I loved so much. Looking forward to doing it again after I get over the spaghetti arms and shoulder soreness I have right this minute.....Thanks again for the input.