Best Rear Binding Moving From Double Hardshells

Patmaster

Trying to move from double hard boots (Fogmans) to reflex-like front boot, worried what to try as a back boot. Rear toe does not work, short booth that don't hold the heel do not work as well. Most people say Wiley's rear boot but I never liked that very much. Release of the back foot is a concern, of course, as is the "feel" of two boots, without which it may take too long to get used to the new setup. Ideas, anyone?

• Baller

I made the move from double FM boots earlier this year. I moved to a Syndicate "Reflex style" front boot and a R Style rear. I considered the Chop Top however I don't like the laces on the Chop Top. Too much variability with the laces (risk of over-tightening).

Once I set the buckle tension on the R Style to my liking I took a silver paint marker and marked the buckle settings. Same buckle setting every set, every pass. Repeat-ability and reducing variables is very important for me.

• Baller
I came off the E Series FM boots. Front boot switch took 4-5 sets to get comfortable while the rear R style took about 10 sets. KEY to making the switch was keeping my same liners (including the rear liner- Trent F suggested this). Having my rear liners come up above the R style shell seemed to ease the feel of making the switch.

• Baller
I would really suggest to reconsider the half-boot. I have been using this the whole season after 20 years using only a toe loop. And then you have @skiep who got to the half boot from a full double bindings set up. It really is the best of both worlds!

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller
@BlueSki Agreed, although the one I have been using doesn't have the split and yet I have released from it very easily (classic out the front offside turn approach crash :smile: ). I think the great aspect of the FM rear half boot is that it uses bungee in the front, so you maintain that giving feel of a kicker.

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller

Coming from double boots myself (RS-1/ Connelly Draft/ Vector/ Profile), I can highly recommend the Radar HRT!

When I made the switch to Reflex (front boot only) I tried a rtp for a few weeks. Never could get used to it. Used one of my old Vectors for a while but never felt safe enough with that setup. Finally I tried the HRT and instantly loved it!

You can tighten it down pretty good to feel snug and controlled, but due to the shape, the foot will definitely come out in a fall.

• Baller
I've been on Reflex r-style for almost 2 years now and have been very happy. On otf falls I the you come out even easier than rtp. I enlarged the holes to give a little extra twist. I was on double boots for many years. I had no problems transitioning.

• Baller
Another vote for the R-style. My rear FM eseries cuff fell off and sank near 2 ball. I went back to the dock and bolted @"Pat M"'s R-style to the ski and proceeded to have the best set of the season as of that point. I ordered mine own on the way home and skied my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sets on the r-style as tournament rounds. Works awesome. Keep an eye on the attachment screws though, mine did back out after 2 weeks of skiing and the hardware sinks...

• Baller

Regarding toe plates, I don't see how anyone could use any stock setup, let alone someone coming from doubles.

But, take an ordinary Wiley-type plate, remove the rubber pad and replace with anti-slip tape and it becomes a different animal.