Geese on Jump

GK

• Baller
Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping geese off the jump ramp (and ultimately all the crap that goes along with them). A rope across the bottom doesn't work. They fly in and land on it.

• Baller
We have anchored a couple of fake swans near the shore of our site. They have taken it from goose infested to completely goose poo free. Basically just pool toys that are $20-30 each on Amazon. I'd try them up course of the jump completely out of the skier/boat path. Obviously you'd pull them for tournaments but if positioned correctly they might provide the fear factor without needed to be removed for practice.

• Baller
@keithh2oskier - I can't speak for the duck, but the skier was pretty amazed and fortunately not injured. She couldn't believe her luck. The duck was actually perched at the bottom of the ramp, and she figured it would fly away as they usually do. This one just sat there and at the last second flew up into her. The ironic part is that the jumper is a veterinarian.

• Baller
I had geese using my swim dock every night years ago. I made it a point to sneak up on them every night just after dark with a high powered spot light while barking and growling like a dog very loudly. Three nights in a row and have not had geese near my property for 5 years now.

• Baller

Could be worse. The year 2008 Malibu Open was held in Pontiac, MI, in conjunction with

some powerboat races. This was at the site of a public beach. Every night, geese would

occupy the beach, and leave goose poop all over it.

Next morning, the beach would get "cleaned up". This was done by runnning a tractor

back and forth to plow the sand around, and cover up the goose poop. Can't have been a

very healthy place to hang out and swim. We called it Goose Poop Beach.

• Baller

@GK try using one strand of monofilament fishing line on two poles that span across the jump. A university of Montana professor has had success with the approach and found that less than 20lb test seems to have the best effectiveness. His theory is that it due to the low visibility, it appears and disappears from the birds' sight.

A chicken farmer in GA is successfully using the same approach to keep eagles from eating his free range chickens, so it may work on other large birds, but you may have to try different heights. It probably would not be to hard to rig something on the jump when you pull it for winter. If you try it, I would be curious to learn if it works on geese.

• Baller
@BlueSki we use this method on our starting dock in San Diego's Mission Bay, and it keeps the seagulls, herons and pelicans off the dock. Prior to setting this up, we'd have some fairly disgusting messes to clean up first thing in the morning, especially in late autumn.