Installing new radio remote control in SN 196. Need ideas.

Tdub

I just put a new Clarion radio in my 2004 SN 196. Works great but the remote control that is currently in the boat will not work so I can get a new remote control but it will not fit in the current dashboard configuration. The new remote(not purchased yet is a 3 inch circular device. I am going to have to somehow fabricate a mount unless there is some kind of adapter out there. I would love some ideas from the knowledgeable folks on the forum.

nqq695ef0gdo.jpg

• Baller
I'm in the same situation except my 07 is keyed so there never was a remote in the location shown above. Just the ignition switch. I haven't found a good location for a 3" remote that wouldn't look ridiculous. I'm also anal about my boat so that doesn't help. Originally I was going to fabricate a stainless bracket for under the dash but every location i measured was a knee banger getting in and out of the driver seat. Were you looking to install the 3" in the same place as the old clarion?

• Baller

Is the old remote more than 3" across in all directions on that mount? If yes read below if no - how big is it.

This is going to be a bit difficult to follow if you don't do much fabrication work.

First remove that from the boat and remove the remount from the plastic surround. Then you need something like a PVC pipe coupler that the new gauge will fit inside. You then trace the coupler onto the face of the plastic and cut the circle out - probably with a jig saw or grind it out - doesn't need to be pretty.

The Coupler is then cut off to whatever depth you need, and tacked into the opening with super glue. test fit gauge and such into dash.

Next step is cosmetics, using something like bondo body filler you sculpt the coupler into the surrounding plastic in a way that seems appealing - blending out the circular lip from the gauge into the surrounding item - you then prime/sand/prime/sand until smooth and cosmetically the way you want it, a few shots of paint probably black and then once dry you install in boat.

The internet is full of photos of this - but this is a pretty common way to build/install gauges, speakers etc. into dashes/pillars/hoods etc.

http://www.tercelreference.com/project_development/central_gauge_pods/gauge_32.jpg

• Baller
I would remove that one and position the new one as best possible there. It should have threaded inserts in the back allowing a backing bar to be in place. Mine is keyed so I didn't have that space. I went with the MW4 over a blank spot on dash panel.

Wow, I appreciate all the suggestions. I'm will not fabricate to the extent that @BraceMaker went to, very impressive. First I will check nautique parts like @Skirvind suggests and if that doesn't pan out I will go with @Booze. Thanks.

• Baller

@Tdub - man would have saved me the time ;)

I don't do that sort of stuff for enjoyment, but I have made different parts in that same technique (photo isn't mine) In my old car I used that to make cup holders along the transmission tunnel, built out the panel that the shift boot went into and bent an aluminum panel across it - the fun part is once you get it prepped you can add in different features, aux input jacks, charger ports etc.

Impressive that they still have those parts

https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/remote-control-bezel-round-remotes/

• Baller

@mwski - do you have a blank spot on your dash (gauge cluster) I did, so that's what drove the decision to place it there. (removed PP)

It would take a while to get a pic, but imagine a filler plate where the PP controller was, with the MW4 attached to the plate. Yes, it doesn't fit flush and looks a bit out of place but, it works and is easy to reach.