Vapor bindings - how do they fit

Dano

• Baller

Hey, I've done a couple quick searches on here for this but couldn't find any definitive info. I'm wanting to know if they fit small? As in if I'm a size 11 running shoe should I be looking at a size 12 binding? Particularly for the 2014 vapor boot (the green ones).

Thanks.

• Baller
Thought I would update, I'm a 10.5 or 11 shoe. Bought the 12 Vapor. Good fit, comfortable, performs incredible. I had to heat mold it to make it a little longer for the toes. I don't think an 11 would have been long enough. For those worried about release, Don't be, the release is very effective just don't crank down the upper bungies. For those that are having some release issues, could it possibly be that your in a binding that is too small? As I mentioned I went with the 12 to get the foot length (my toes just a little crunched before heat molding) however the 12 felt a little loose everywhere else. I am sure if I crammed my foot into an 11 and heat molded it and forced things a little I could've run them. But then would things be tight in the outer frame? If so would they still release properly? I dont' know. The size 12's ended up being comfy, and although initially feeling a little big, I have to say there is no performance loss. Very happy with this binding.

• Baller

I have a narrow foot and usually wear size 11.5 or 12 in street shoes. I ordered a size 12 vapor boot and just received it yesterday. With the liner out and my foot in just the shell I have about 1.5cm of extra space lengthwise. Also, plenty of space laterally. With the liner in the shell my toes touch the end of the liner (before heat molding) but only lightly. The only slight discomfort I feel is on both sides of my shin bones (or whatever they are called -- the little bumps that stick out on both sides of my ankles), but I am sure heat molding would compress the liner in these areas and make it comfortable.

So, I have what appears to be a properly fitting boot, but I would like to be more confident in the release before I fully commit to it. I posted this in another thread but haven't yet gotten a response -- can I release test this boot dry or do they need to be wet for a proper release test? I ask because I want to be able to return this boot if I am not comfortable with the release.

"TallSkinnyGuy

but I would like to be more confident in the release before I fully commit to it. I posted this in another thread but haven't yet gotten a response"

You don't say what year vapor boot, but perhaps not important (altho I think BOA lacing tightens tighter than previous models), I wouldn't do a dry release as it doesn't replicate in the water. My test was to sit in the water with ski out in front, grab the tip and pull towards me. If you can pull the ski off one handed with reasoable firm resistance then it's going to release in a fall (never any guarantees in this game). I guessed that's a good base start point. In fairness, you could do a Google search of this forum and find plenty of info on vapor boots. Thanks to BoS I at least got the memo heads up on bottom laces/BOA tight : top laces snug, otherwise I might well have been over zealous on tightening all the laces. Lots of crashes this summer with the vapor boot and no issues releasing (rear RPT BTW)

Re the OP

One size bigger than normal shoe size for me (2016 vapor), but I have a fairly wide foot.

• Baller
I’m usually size 10 ½ for street shoes, sometimes 11. I just ordered a 2018 Vapor boot size 11 and when it arrived, it was too small. Even with no insole in, my toes were hitting the front of the boot really badly and I don’t think heat molding the liner would have solved the problem. I was reminded of my tight rock climbing shoes, but that’s a different sport!

• Baller
@pregom without heating the l8ners somet8mes they can feel very small. When 8 heated my liners I made a toe dam out of paper towels taped to my toes and had the toes of a thick sock on with another sock over all of that. I went from feeling too tight to feeling snug the way I wanted them.

• Baller
Interesting hearing your experience, @Chef23. I didn’t think of trying the boot without the liner to see if just the shell could fit my foot length-wise. With the liner, I felt I needed close to 1 cm more. I had to keep my toes curled up. In terms of width, it felt good. I thought of heat molding (@perfski suggested to try that), but I got afraid it would not solve my problem and I would no longer be able to return the boot. At this point the size 12 is on its way. I guess I’ll check that one out and then decide on the next step.

• Baller
Since the liner is heat moldable and will "pack out" with both heat molding and use, I feel it is appropriate to do a shell fit (i.e. without liner) to determine if the boot is really the correct size for you. The liner will never take up as much volume as the first time you try it on because it will compress over time.