HO TX

packski

• Baller

Radar has their RST (radius stability turn) tail - which is the same general idea.

I wouldn't look at any one bit of a ski and say Oh wow this is necessary and why doesn't everyone copy it - don't care if its flex tail, mapple torsion box, clean edge, RST, speed steps or coatings or fin boxes with rocker.

I would say arguably the TX and Katana are probably marketed similarly as cross over wide skis with low drag but that HO makes a superlite TX which Radar does not, perhaps we'll see the Radar "probuild" Katana?

With the omni I think we're seeing the Tx disappear, who knows what's next?

• Supporting Member

Agree with @BraceMaker Look at the "line" of skis vs. a "single feature".

I would say the Theory or P-6 (newer models: Katana or Butterknife) would be closer to the HO TX.

Great question on the CET, it was my first thought when I saw HO's new Omni video. Why did they keep the CET on their Syndicate Omni but it's not on their Syndicate Skis? The buyer of an all Carbon Ski is probably doing a higher % of course skiing, or at least wanting to.

Not sure if this will help:

I have a pre-Clean Edge Tech (CET) HO TX Superlite (sold my regular TX). It's now the "boat" ski. The TX SL is a fantastic ski (for a wide ride, it's off the hook) and definitely course worthy especially below 34mph. The TX SL is way above my ability. More than one first time user/intermediate skier, has let go of the handle as they were not ready for the speed it creates.

I ski the Radar Lithium Senate. Similar upgrades/differences between the Radar Lithium/non-Lithium line of skis and HO's Superlite/non-Superlite skis. Again, way above my 30-32mph, 15/22 off hacking, but I love the extra stiffness/speed of the Lithium and SL's models.

• Baller

I think what you have to start with is that the Clean edge was started for the free-ride open water skis to reduce how sluggish they are through the water - for anyone who has ever tried out one of those O'Brien fat rides back in the day you'll know the feeling of having an essentially un-edgeable plank that won't accelerate and wants to stop even at low speeds.

It wasn't created because top end skis needed to be more efficient, and I think the top tier skis from most of the companies have thinned the tail a bit - but there are exceptions.