Faceplant of the year

ErikBerghiller

I had a problem in the beginning of this season, just when I was in the middle of crossing the wake it was like I fell forward/to the side of which I was pulling. It happend fast and without any warning signs and totally random, at least that how it feels. Then suddenly it stopped and I haven’t thought much about it.

Then last week I upgraded from open rear binding to a closed one and it started happening again. Faceplanted just an hour ago and I can’t figure out why it keeps happening which bums me out, plus it HURTS! :#

I realize it might be hard to tell without video but I still want to ask, anyone who have had this problem and figured out why this happens. (I ski at 32, 15" off )

4mfhp9pfcccj.jpg

• Baller
From where that spray is and where the line is, I'm wondering if you are pulling too long/getting stuck pulling. If so, try to start coming up from your lean at the center of the wakes. Then just keep two hands on and ride out to buoy width. This is, of course, limited in value without video (which I'm sure was spectacular).

• Baller_
You may be leading with your shoulders into the wake. The binding change may allow you to do that more than usual, since you won't have the feeling of pulling your back foot out of a toepiece/open binding. The open binding may have helped you regulate or notice that poor position better.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Geez did you bury the tip? We have a friend who is a good athlete and runs buoys but scares the shit out of me when she does. Off the wake her tip comes perilously close with regularity to catching.

One time I was on the dock and she was skiing on a course just off shore and she did catch the tip...it was a horrific fall..sound effects and all. I yelled something like OMG, dove off the dock and started swimming. Good thing she just got her bell rung but one of the worst looking falls I've seen.

@Booze With "plate" do you meen open binding?

@MISkier Like I'm leaning to much to the side I'm pulling at with my upper body?

@6balls I dont know, i did'nt have any time to understand what happend at all :)

@BraceMaker Radar Vapor Alloy 2015 67", I'm 6 feet and weight 175 pounds... both bindings are in the middle of the adjustment range.

• Baller

I wouldn't say anything I've read here has been incorrect, except calling the new rear binding an "upgrade" ;)

Like was said earlier, it's all conjecture without video, but.... Pull with your back arm, left arm going from 1 to 2 ball, almost enough pressure on that arm that you could wave at the pretty girl in the observer seat with your other hand. Try it on dry land and you'll see what I mean. It will bring your hips up, which will help what @MISkier is saying. That will make you way faster, so that mid wake edge change @Razorskier1 was talking about will become a little more crucial, to not blowing past the ball.

• Baller

@ErikBerghiller - Back in the day we called a rear highwrap boot a "rear plate" and the only other option was a toe piece. (or a toe plate perhaps) So I was referring to a rear highwrap binding. Are you calling an "open" binding a toepiece or a hybrid rear (like the Reflex hybrid rear)?

• Baller_

@powbmps, this type of thing happens when you aren't balanced/stacked on the ski and/or your ski gets stuck under or behind you.

Some things to try.

1. Stand tall into your glide before the turn in and try to set the position for your pass then. No butt dragging, no tail riding. Shoulders over hips over ankles and a lot of ski in the water. Shoulders not rolling forward.

2. The ski should be in front and leading you across the wake and leading into the turn. If it is, the ski (not your upper body) will lead you out of the turn correctly and the finish will be nice. This is a difficult concept to get, as many will try this, but end up dropping their butt or riding the tail.

3. Your reach, especially on the offside turn, should be slightly up. If you reach down, you're pulling your your upper body forward. That will get the ski stuck under you. Your upper body will be forward and you will need to do something dramatic to fix that. When you don't, well, you know what happens.

I'm sure others can help more than I, but it really is about building good body position that will carry though. Your crash didn't happen at the moment of impact. Its cause began a lot earlier.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.