Devices to practice Tricks on land

Gus

Here's the classic. I've been using that since I started. This design is also quite easy to build. I use about 10Kg of weights. Together with a rotating disc on the ground I also use it for muscle training. Just rotate 50 times in each direction every day :)

Without disc its also useful to practice the handle passes for the WO's.

c7ceinzjo47o.jpg

I measured the pull of the boat on me and found it was about 25Kg skiing straight behind the boat. More than I expected.

Which brought me to consider the next idea, still conceptual, I'm going to build it. The idea is that like this it mimics the effect of pulling - the force becomes less for a while and then snaps back to normal.

ejhtbfq6t2hi.jpg

Different tricks, like SLB vs WO, will require different weights/ arm lengths..

I'm interested in any other solutions and experiences with them.

• Baller

As Marvin Gaye said, "ain't nothing like the real thing, baby", but here's my latest attempt at simulation. It works reasonably well for toes. Spooner on a sheet of something more slippery than carpet (sheet of G10 I have yet to make a binding plate from), on top of carpet and an army surplus traction reel to keep the rope tight. The slippery piece on top of the carpet allows easy spinning and some side-to-side migration without letting the Spooner slip completely out from under you leading to a painful fall on a completely hard surface.

dnbbczhnyzzl.jpg

I like the traction reel.

A smooth spinning platform is not easy. I discovered this works pretty well, especially if you keep it well lubricated:

hexupubpa266.jpg

Improvement would be to use a thinner piece of wood or other material for the platform, making it lighter.

Jah, too bad a large swimming pool with a winch doesn't fit in a closet :)

• Baller
@MattP, that kid sure has a nice axis, but "patent pending"? Those things have been around for years. I'm a little confused by how complicated some of the pulley drawings are- what's wrong with just a single pulley attached to a solid post or other surface with a weight on it? I don't get the advantage of adding additional pulleys.

• Baller

His mechanism causes tension to reduce as more line comes out, the opposite of say a bungee or spring which would ramp up tension or a pulley alone which is constantly tension.

I believe what he is aiming for is that advancing on the rope would reduce tension briefly.

Sadly what is needed is some form of track where a cable looped through the track to the platform links to the mechanism such that tension increases as the platform is further from upright. Pulling in on handle would both move platform in and reduce tension on line but would have some spring force to bring it back to neutral... Almost like buying a cheap boat....

• Baller

I just came to the realization that my skepticism of the possibility for a more realistic device is that I want what I called it - a simulator. Something that gives the same feeling as actually skiing. The important components for a simulator that are missing from a "trainer" for me are:

- edging

- a wake

- a moving axis

Existing "trainers" attempt to simulate only pull from the boat and an axis at a fixed point and fixed attitude. That may be fine for the beginning tricker with no feel at all for maintaining axis rotation while holding on and being pulled, but quite boring and not very effective as a training device for a more advanced skier.

A non-fixed axis and the ability to feel a ski edge, which in turn controls rope tension, are key to a more realistic experience.

@Intheday yup, I never tried one but they seem pretty useful for toes, difficult to find a video or picture of one.

I'd love one of these in winter:

@BraceMaker interesting idea, maybe also nice for toes. But jumping on a moving platform doesn't work. I'm looking for a better way to practice SLB and W5.

• Baller_
Some of you parents remember the sit and spin? I removed the top of one of those and mounted a piece of 3/4" plywood to it and a small binding. the kids were too big for the sit and spin but it made a great trick ski practice tool for both hand tricks and toe tricks. did not do us a lot a of good in the long run as Stephen hates toe tricks and Dr. Moe just did not get that good at toes!

I macgyvered together this contraption, a slightly simpler design as the one I drew in winter (2nd picture above), but the same mechanics. The goal is to allow me to get closer to an SLB.

Unfortunately there's nobody around here who can actually do an SLB, so I have no clue whether its any good. Here's how it looks when I try it:

I think for the WO and W5's its quite good; especially in combination with the trampoline.