Camero Blacktec 1.5 vs Stokes 3/4 Spring Wet Suit 53* Water

skinut

• Baller

I have had a Camaro Blacktec 1.5MM full suit that I have been using for the last few years and I decided to order the Stokes 3/4 (covers the knees) this year. Yesterday I was skiing in 53* water and I used each suit during my two sets.

The biggest difference between the two was how warm I felt. The Blacktec kept me nice and comfy. The Stokes, which is about the same thickness, did not keep me as comfortable and I was on the edge of being uncomfortable. The downside to the Camaro is it's durability. Even with a lot of careful handling I still have small nicks and tears in the fabric. The Stokes is much more durable. I prefer the Stokes in a little warmer water because of its durability. As far as cold water comfort goes you can't beat the Camaro. The Stokes seemed to let a little less water in compared to the Camaro but part of that might be due to the age of the Camaro suit.

You can't go wrong with either one. Even though you get wet in the Camaro I prefer that to a baggy drysuit that makes you feel like you wearing a parachute.

• Baller
You're a tougher man than me! I need a full length 3/2 for that water temp. I did buy a Camero Blacktec 1.5 top about a month ago for chilly mornings and love it. I need a new full length and was checking out the Stokes.

• Baller

A 0.5mm neoprene rash vest or the Camaro Titanium Top (https://goo.gl/mxn8h7) will take the warmth of the camaro suit to a new level...

The Camaro Blacktec long sleeve top and the sleeveless (7/8) Camaro long-suit (https://goo.gl/m5xA8P) is an even warmer combo as you have a double layer around your core....the bonus with this set up is if you already have the top, the 7/8 suit is cheaper to buy and converts the top to a longsuit....

• Baller
@skihacker I had a Eagle spring suit. The Camaro stuff has the outside coating that acts as a windbreaker. I don't know if Eagle has this yet but mine didn't and it make it worse than not wearing anything at all because of evaporative cooling effect. The skin are a little delicate on the Camaro but very warm. I have a shorty Camaro now but my back leg fills up with water when I get up so if I get another Camaro it will be full length.

• Baller
A couple wraps with a shrink wrap like material or any thin, flexible, plastic wrap around the bottom of the legs will stop the back leg from filling up with water. It comes on a spool with a handle. You can buy it at Home Depot or Lowe's and probably other places. It also protects the wetsuit material from water spray damage. It doesn't put pressure on your leg like a strap will.

• Baller
Camaro is awesomely warm. I have durability issues. I can't make one last for a MN season without the under side of the arms becoming see through. Tried wearing a thin rash guard over it all the time to see if that would help. It did, but I still got one season before it was toast. If you could get a suit that thin and that warm that was durable - home run!

• Baller

@Razorskier1 - try one of these over the TOP of your vest:

https://goo.gl/vSihPE

i have tried various different styles, but found this one to be the best fit/ ease getting on/off. It is slightly thicker than a rash vest, and since using it i have no wear at all on the inside of my Camaro Top arms....

Plus, it is cheap...

i am 5'11 - 185lbs and i use a size M

• Baller

I'm at about 8 sets with my first shorty Blacktec. Last time out I found one of those pinch mark debits, first one. It isn't all the way through.... yet. Anyone ever try to seal those back up with silicone or something? I understand it's a fragile suit but I'd like to help it last as long as possible.

Side note, I'm probably done using it this year.

• Baller_

I have both a ‘17 Camaro and ‘18 Stokes spring suit. I love my Cararo qbut I think the Stokes would be my favorite if only the neck closure was better. I get water down the back of the neck in the Stokes but the Camaro stays dry. I compensate in cold water by wearing a sleeveless O’Neill heater top under the Stokes. Bottom line, I prefer Camaro in cold (50-65)water but i prefer the Stokes in warm (65+) water but cold air.

In really cold water, say 40-50, I ski in an O’Neill spring suit. Not as flexible but really the warmest of the three in really cold water. Fortunately I don’t have to ski much in that crap these days.

Lpskier

• Baller
I have a O'Neill psycho one 3/4 and we ski with water btw 43F (last week) to 48F (yesterday) open water in Geneva, and I have friends who ski with the blackteck camaro. The main issue is durability. The camaro will last 2 season max and mine is 2 seasons and is like new. Regarding comfort, mine is a bit thicker and so a bit warmer but the camaro is very comfortable and easier to put on. But if you have to buy a camaro every 2 seasons....than the O'Neill comes cheaper.

• Baller
The Stokes looks real nice and reminds me of my O'Neill BLP spring with 3/4 leg. It's a 1994. I shipped to O'Neill last year and they replaced the shoulder panels and retaped the seams. Like new for $50.