Boat advice

seveet

• Baller
I am currently looking for a slalom boat for recreational skiing and to reach my kids. I have a nautique 230 and love their fit finish and comfort. I have spent some time behind a friends 96 prostar. I typically ski at 34 mph 22 off on a Connelly Fx1. We probably won't be using this in a coarse. Unfortunately, my wife won't let me spend more than 7000 on another toy. I found an 84 Stars and Stripes that seems to be in good condition with a 440 Chrysler engine (1500 hrs).I wound hope to get this for around 4000. I am also looking at a 91 prostar with a 351 Windsor (780 hrs) that looks to be in excellent condition. This may push the budget. I would hope to get it around 7000. I would appreciate any input on the wakes, how they compare to what I know, the engines, the engine reliability, other things that I should look for. The nostalgia side of me would love the Stars and Stripes. I just don't want a giant headache. Thx

• Baller

The 91 would be my pick, I have a boat w/ that Hull and I've had a boat with the Windsor engine.

That's a good boat - possibly a little slow so I'd skip it if you're a barefooter, but its a great all around hang out/cruise/ski boat.

That said if you look for a Prostar 205 direct drive from the same vintage you'll get an open bow.

• Baller
Agree with @BraceMaker We have an '86 (same layout to that '83) that we bought out of nostalgia. Super cool boat, but really tiny! Not that the '91 is huge by any means, but there's way more space in comparison. Having also owned a '91 fairly recently, I have current and direct experience. BTW, the '83 rooster tail and spray are nasty!

• Baller

Kids are 10 and 7. Unfortunately the boats are several hours away and not near one another. I would rather have a planned deal prior to traveling. The boat would primarily be for early morning slalom runs. Everything with the kids would be from the dock. The kids are already getting up surfing (I know four letter word hear). I am just hoping to expand their horizons. How does the 91 compare to the 96 I have been behind?

Sounds like I should get over nostalgia.

• Baller
Lotta boat for $7K. If you want an '87 for $6K my ski buddy has a very nice example...having said that the '91 is one thousand dollars better than the prior hull in '87 which is two thousand dollars better than a stars and stripes.

• Baller
@seveet I have a '97 MC 190 but haven't skied behind the 91-94 MC 190 hull. I've been told that the 91-94 version has a slightly smaller, softer wake than the 95-97 hull but more spray (only noticeable in a strong headwind or -35 and shorter). If you ski longer lines and like the '96 you skied behind, you should love the '91.

• Baller
One more comment: don't overlook inspecting the trailer. I was so focused on the boat when I bought mine that I didn't spend much time looking at the trailer. When I got home and looked at it I found 15-year-old tires that had to be replaced immediately, brakes that did not work and other issues. These would all have been negotiating points if I had paid attention when checking out the boat.