Colder water skiing -strategies?

cragginshred

• Baller

Firstly, take 1deg off your wing...this will free up the ski and make it move again..

Secondly, (excuse the metric numers)...for every deg C the water is colder than 20degC, take 0.2kph off the speed...eg water temp 18 deg C = speed reduction of 0.4kph...i regularly ski in water that has huge temp variations and this really works...

I can be down to 56kph at home (water temp 10degC) and the next set (back in orlando) up to 58kph and the ski and scores will feel the same - apart from the cold extremities etc etc...

• Baller
Make sure your body is warm and unrestricted. I ski all winter and don't touch my fin. I do make sure that I am wearing proper gear for the weather that doesn't restrict motion. My old full neo drysuit was warm but terribly restrictive, I skied like garbage in it. When the water gets cold I am comfortable in a 2mm top, but my body is just a little stiff, I ski like garbage. In my baggy top drysuit I am warm and unrestricted, I ski as well as I did in August. Before I figured out my warmth/movement issue I hated skiing in the winter, now I like it.

• Baller
@cragginshred I picked one of these up last winter. I wear a spray leg on the back leg. I notice a tiny bit of drag in the turns but not enough to change anything. I can layer underneath and have full mobility. The full neo suit I had was an old hand-me-down and was bulky as could be. I like that the baggy suit is just a water barrier and I add insulation as necessary. I was hesitant to go full baggy, but I am happy I did.

• Baller

@cragginshred - correct...9* to 8*...you will notice the difference right from your gate pull out...

I will almost take alternate sets in water that will have a huge temp range...i am fortunate enough to ski in florida every 2 weeks.. i have even manage to ski on snow, ski in Florida and ski at home all in one week....so i have a regular comparison between the different water qualities.

In the recent Mapple Pro-Am, the no1 skier in the world took about 6 sets before he could adjust to cold water...and the water was about 20degC....

There is definately a sweet spot...anything above 34C/94F and the ski sits too deep in the water...reducing the wing by 1deg helped enormously...

• Baller

@scotchipman You've got the right idea but the order reversed on the following. I've found the best setups to be cold water setups, and that a good "cold" water setup will remain a good setup as the water gets "warmer."

On the other hand, warm water can mask or forgive small setup deficiencies. So what seems a good warm water setup may deteriorate as the water gets colder.

Accordingly, this may be the best time of year to work on your setup because your skiing is at its peak, and you can find cool water on warm days. The perfect scenario is a warm, sunny, fall day in 60° water. The warm sunny part is for the muscles and attitude.

• Baller
@SkiJay -- interesting. All of my setups have been done in colder water. Pretty much the warmest it gets in MN lakes is mid-70s. When I go to warmer water it feels fine. As an example, last year I ran 38 off in Florida one day in October, the very next day ran it in MN in a drysuit - no changes to setup and they both felt similar to me. Water temp difference was more than 20 degrees.

• Baller

@cragginshred - you have to leave now. You said "Cali". Please turn in your California card. Alternatively, you may attend mandatory repatriation classes. There are several upcoming in Santa Cruz, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Malibu, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa, Redondo, PV, Seal Beach, Long Beach, Huntington, Newport, Laguna, Dana Pt., San Clemente, Oceanside, Carlsbad, all North County SD towns, San Diego, and Imperial Beach.

• Baller

For me, being a bit too big for my ski, I really like skiing in colder water as it seems to expand my performance envelope a bit. Ski isn't as sensitive to the very minute body position things in cold water as it is when it's warmer.

That and your hands are like iron. :)